Maribor vs Rangers
Europa League Qualifying – 3rd Round 2nd Leg
Date: Thursday, 16 August 2018
Kick-off at 19:00 UK/ 20:00 CET
Venue: Ljudski vrt (Maribor).
Rangers continue their good form under Steven Gerrard after snatching a well-deserved 3-1 win against Maribor in the first leg tie of the Europa League third round qualifier.
The Gers defeated Croatian side Osijek (2-1) and Macedonian side Shkupi (2-0) in the previous two rounds of the competition on the back of disciplined collective performance.
Maribor had easy draw in the previous two rounds, Georgia’s Chikhura (2-0) and Albanian side Partizani (3-0).
It seems like the Scottish side proved to be from a different level than the teams they faced so far this season.
Maribor vs Rangers Head-to-head
- This Thursday mark 4th meeting between Maribor and Rangers in Europa and 6th overall in a UEFA competition.
- Rangers lead the h2h with 3 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss from previous 5.
- The team that lost the first leg haven’t overturned that defeat.
- In 2001 Champions League Rangers bagged a 3-0 away win in the first leg and finished it off with a 3-1 win at home.
- Meantime, Maribor had their revenge 10 years later in the Europa League play-off and started off with a 2-1 win to see the tie-off with a 1-1 draw in Glasgow.
- Their last four h2h meetings saw both teams scoring, 4 of those 5 saw 3 or more goals.
Maribor vs Rangers Prediction
The match is perfectly poised in Ranger’s favor and a 2 goal lead despite conceding an away goal is a substantial advantage.
We have seen Maribor thrashing teams in their domestic league this season, still they haven’t shown that sort of form in front of goal in Europe, despite the low stature of previous two opposition teams.
The Slovenians come to Thursday’s game with a point to prove and I won’t be surprised if they start pushing players forward straight from the kick-off.
However, Rangers are unbeaten in all competitions this season and their defensive unit is a formidable one. I don’t see Maribor finding a way to cut down the deficit in this tie.
Maribor vs Rangers Betting Tips
- Both teams to Score @ 10/11 (1.91)
- Double Chance – Draw or Rangers @ 5/8 (1.62).