Manchester City vs Sporting Lisbon
UEFA Champions League
Date: Wednesday, 9 March 2022
Kick-off at 20:00 UK/ 21:00 CET
Venue: Etihad Stadium.
Sporting will have to orchestrate the comeback of the century to progress to the Quarter Final. The first leg had ended in a 0-5 win for the Citizens on the road, and now they have the luxury to defend this unassailable lead at home.
Pep Guardiola’s men are the reigning English champions, and they were the favorites to secure the European title as well last year. Unfortunately, they were felled by Chelsea in the final, courtesy of a lone unanswered goal.
Suffice it to say that the Citizens are now dead-determined to bring their first ever European trophy to the Etihad.
Sporting might be a top-dog in Portugal. But they really do not stand a chance against the all-conquering team of Pep. Expect another dominant win for Manchester City.
Manchester City vs Sporting Lisbon Head-to-head (h2h)
- The combined scorecard for the past two clashes is 8-2, in favor of the EPL title-holders.
- They have a 100% unbeaten record against other Portuguese teams.
- Meanwhile, Sporting are winless against other English opponents since 2010.
- They have failed to score in three of their past four meetings against other English rivals.
Manchester City vs Sporting Lisbon Prediction & Analysis
The Citizens dealt an embarrassing 0-5 loss to Sporting in the first leg, and that too at their own home.
Now, Sporting will have to find five unanswered goals against the well-oiled machine of Pep Guardiola, and that too at the Etihad, where loyal fans will be vociferously edging on their team for their first ever European title.
Going on, the English champs had won 22 of the past 25 overall match-ups, and they had also won 16 of their past 19 appearances at home this season.
On the other hand, Sporting were winless in four of their past six fixtures, and they historically have a poor h2h record against other English teams.
By the looks of things, anticipate another huge win for Manchester City.
Key Stats for Betting
- Guardiola’s men are at the top of the English Premier League, that too with a six-point lead.
- They have scored the second-most number of goals, and have conceded the least.
- They have lost just twice in the past four-month period, and they have lost just twice at home since the first week of May 2021.
- Meanwhile, Sporting are on a two-game winless run on the road, and it’s been almost two months since they have kept a clean sheet on the road.
Tips for Manchester City vs Sporting Lisbon
Manchester City -2.5 Asian Handicap @ 2.25 (5/4)
Over 1.5 Second Half Goals @ 1.67 (2/3).