CS Fola Esch vs Genk
UEFA Europa League
Date: Wednesday, 1st August 2018
Kick-Off at 17:00 UK / 18:00 CET
Venue: Stade Emile Mayrisch (Esch-sur-Alzette).
- Genk are in a commanding position to advance to the next round after a thumping 5-0 win in the first leg.
- The Smurfs are in stunning goal-scoring form as well and they eye a similar rout in Luxembourg this Wednesday.
- Genk just opened their Belgian First Division campaign with another stunning win, 4-0 away at Lokeren.
- The visitors have the better of momentum and it will be a good idea to back them on a handicap to defeat Fola at their home turf this time.
Fola Esch vs Genk Betting Tips
- FT – Genk -1.5 Asian Handicap at 1.60 is a potential banker.
- Both teams to Score – No at 2.00 odd.
Genk vs Fola Esch: Head-to-head
This is the first ever head to head meeting between Genk and Fola Esch in a competitive game.
Genk vs Fola Esch: Preview & Prediction
Genk will start the new European adventure with the home clash against Fola Esch on Thursday evening at Luminus Arena. The Belgians had luck with the draw as they got one of the easiest rivals for this stage of the competition to deal with and anything but a straightforward affair would be a disaster for them.
The hosts decided to keep Philippe Clement as the head coach in spite of having a rather underwhelming season in the previous term of First Division A. Genk came fifth at the end of the campaign, but it was still enough to secure them place in Europa League thanks to the 2-0 win over Zulte-Waregem in the play-offs final in late-May.
Their rivals came third at the end of the National Division of Luxembourg with a 21-point deficit to champions F91 Dudelange.
Clement has reasons to optimism ahead of the first official match of the season if we are to judge by his team’s form during the preparations period. Genk head into this off the back of seven straight wins in the off-season.
More impressively, they bagged three or more goals in each of games during the streak. Yes, the opposition was generally poor, but some fixtures did see Genk play the likes of Valenciennes, Royal-Excel Mousron and Olympiacos Piraeus. Genk were particularly inspired against the Greek giants, beating them 4-0 on Saturday.
Fola Esch had to start the competition from the first qualifying round and they advanced without scoring a single goal. Both of their ties with Kosovar Prishtina ended in goalless draws as Thomas Klasen’s troops went through on penalties. Overall, they scored only two goals in seven away matches in Europa League over the course of history and we can hardly see them on the scoresheet against the likes of Genk here.
You can have Genk to keep a clean sheet at the odds of 1.57, while the hosts are 1.61 to have the lead at the half time and win the match at the end.