Udinese vs Sampdoria
2018/19 Italian Serie A.
Date: Sunday 26 August 2018
Kick-Off: 19:30 UK,
Venue: Dacia Arena (Udine).
After a delay, Sampdoria finally get their Serie A season underway. The visitors didn’t get to play last weekend due to the bridge collapse in Genoa and as a result, their match was cancelled.
Now, they will face Udinese and hope to get up and running. Sampdoria had hoped to make a push for a Europa League spot, but despite a strong performance at home, their dodgy away form ended up costing them and they’ll be hoping to improve on that this term.
It’s a young and ambitious side and they’ve acquired Jakub Jankto from Udinese who will be hoping to make an impact against his ex-club. Udinese, meanwhile, were shockingly awful last term.
After going on a mini-kick, the Zebrette hit a skid, losing 11 consecutive games which saw them tumbling down the table and nearly cost them a spot in the top flight. Fortunately, they managed to win back to back matches near the end of the season, but they don’t seem to have fixed their issues entirely, either.
Their game against Parma showed exactly that. 2-0 down inside the first hour to a team who were in Serie D only a couple seasons back doesn’t inspire confidence, but the Zebrette were able to shake themselves out of their funk and rally back to earn a 2-2 draw.
Sampdoria, meanwhile, have largely kept their squad together, and will be led by veteran forward Fabio Quagliarella. They are a side who tend to open their campaigns off well, having lost just one of their last ten season openers and will be keen to avoid another humiliating result like last time, which saw them lose 4-0 to Udinese following an early red card.
Udinese vs Sampdoria: Head-to-head statistics
- Udinese have found the net in each of their last 13 home league matches against Sampdoria
- The last time the Zebrette failed to score a goal against them was back in January 2004
- Sampdoria have lost only one of their last 10 opening matches in Serie A (W7 D2)
- The last time that Sampdoria lost four Serie A games in a row was back in September 2016.
- Udinese lost 11 games in Serie A last season; only the relegated teams lost more.
- In their Serie A meetings so far, Sampdoria have won 30 and drawn 23 of 74 prior encounters
- Sampdoria have lost two of their last three trips to Udinese, scoring just once and shipping six goals
- Udinese have also scored 109 goals against Sampdoria. That’s more than against any other side
Udinese vs Sampdoria: Prediction
Although Udinese still have their issues, Sampdoria haven’t fared well upon trips to Udinese’s ground as of late.
Udinese have also scored more goals against Sampdoria than against any other side and will definitely add more.
That being said, they have lost just one of their last 10 opening games in Serie A. Scoring won’t be a problem here for either side in what could be an entertaining clash for neutrals.
Udinese vs Sampdoria: Betting tips
- BTTS – YES at 1.68
- DRAW at 3.30
- Over 2.5 goals at 1.90