Toronto FC vs Real Salt Lake:
MLS Regular Season,
Date: Thursday, 4-August-2016,
Kick-off: 00:00 UK,
Venue: BMO Field (Ontario).
Toronto FC will be backing on their strong home form when Western Conference outfit Real Salt Lake come to visit the BMO Field on Wednesday evening.
The Reds had no trouble in seeing-off Columbus Crew in the last round fixture as they earned a convincing 3-0 victory. Sebastian Giovinco was the star of the show once again as he picked off from where he left last week. He was involved in all three goals, scoring one and assisting in the other two. Jozy Altidore, who returned to the action on Sunday against Columbus following his long term injury lay-off marked the occasion scoring Toronto’s third goal.
Real Salt Lake earned a hard-fought victory away from home against Philadelphia Union. A Roland Alberg penalty put the hosts ahead just before the break, but Real bounced back two quick goals straight after the half-time break to settle the match by a 2-1 margin.
- Toronto are undefeated in 5 of their last 6 matches, with 3 wins and 2 draws.
- Real Salt Lake tasted defeat only once in their last 6 matches, but they had draws 4 and won 1.
- Toronto are on a 3-match winning run at home and are unbeaten in 8 of the 9 home matches in the league so far.
- Salt Lake lost 3 and won 2 of their last 5 away games and the win at Philadelphia ended their 2 match losing streak on the road.
Toronto FC: Team News
Jozy Altidore came on as a substitute against Crew SC on Sunday, but he is likely to start from bench once again.
Greg Vanney has no major injury concerns, but Michael Bradley and Ashtone Morgan and Clint Irwin might need a late fitness test.
Toronto FC: Expected Starting Eleven (4-4-2)
Bono – Morrow, Moor, Zavaleta, Beitashour – Endoh, Delgado, Osorio, Chapman – Giovincio, Hamilton.
Real Salt Lake: Team News
Jeff Cassar has an almost fully fit squad to choose from for the trip to Toronto. However, Demar Phillips and Jamison Olave are minor doubts.
Real Salt Lake: Expected Starting Eleven (4-3-3)
Rimando – Philips, Maund, Glad, Beltran – Morales, Beckerman, Mulholland – Plata, Movsisyan, Martinez.
Toronto FC vs Real Salt Lake: Head-to-Head Stats
- Real Salt Lake are on a 4-match winning run against Toronto FC, however three of those wins were at their home ground.
- The single fixture of last two MLS seasons were played at Real Salt Lake, the hosts won 2-1 on 2015 and 3-0 on 2014.
- Toronto suffered a 1-0 loss when they last hosted Salt Lake during the 2013 season. This was their only defeat in 7 home matches against Salt Lake, while they won 3 and drawn 3.
Toronto FC vs Real Salt Lake: Prediction
Judging by the current home form of Toronto they will go into the match as firm favourites. Real Salt Lake are coming on the back of a 2-1 away win against Philadelphia Union. But they are very inconsistent on the road as they lost in 6 of the last 9 away MLS fixtures. While Toronto had lost only once at home this season from their 9 fixtures. The hosts can be backed for a straight win here.
Toronto are on a red hot scoring form at home after scoring 7 goals from the last two matches. This is mainly due to the stunning form of ex-Juve forward Sebastian Giovinco and the return of Jozy Altidore will further bolster their attack. I expect over 2.5 goals in this match, which is also backed by the fact that Salt Lake haven’t kept a clean sheet on the road so far this season and they conceded 11 goals in the last 5.
- Toronto to win.
- Over 2.5 goals.