Relegation candidates Sunderland are desperate for a win when they host West Bromwich Albion on Saturday at the Stadium of Light.
Sunderland were unlucky not to win in their last match at Newcastle. An 83rd minute goal by Aleksandar Mitrovic cancelled out Jermain Defoe first half strike in a match largely dominated by the Black Cats. Sam Allardayce will be hoping that a similar showing will help them get a win on Saturday.
West Brom fell to a surprising 1-0 defeat at home against Norwich in their last match and their 4 match unbeaten run in the league came to an end. There is less pressure on Tony Pulis and his boys as his team is currently 11th in the league table and they know even a Europa League spot next season is a hard ask.
- Sunderland are without a win in their last 4 league matches, with the last three being draws.
- The Black Cats have won only once in their last 9 league matches.
- Sunderland are unbeaten in their last 2 home matches with a draw and a win and have only lost in 1 out of the last 5 home matches.
- West Brom have won 3 of their last 5 league matches, with 1 draw and a loss.
- Before the defeat to Norwich, The Baggies have scored at-least a goal in each of their previous 6 matches.
- West Brom are unbeaten in their last 2 away matches with a win and a draw.
- The Baggies have only one win from their last 9 matches away from home, with 4 draws and 4 loses.
Sunderland: Team News
Duncan Watmore is the only player missing for Sam Allardyce through injury. We could see a similar 4-1-4-1 formation from Big Sam as he tries to save the Black Cats from going down to the Championship.
Sunderland: Expected Starting Line-up (4-1-4-1)
Manonne – Aanholt, O’shea, Kone, Yedlin – Kirchhoff – Khazri, Rodwell, M’Villa, Borini – Defoe.
West Brom: Team News
Chris Brunt and James Morrison are out with injuries, while Callum McManaman is short of match fitness. Tony Pulis may revert back to the 4-4-2 formation after seeing the 4-2-3-1 formation backfired against a stubborn Norwich City in their last outing.
West Brom: Expected Starting Line-up (4-4-2)
Foster – Dawson, McAuley, Olsson, Evans – Sessegnon, Yacob, Fletcher, Gardner – Rondon, Berahino.
Sunderland vs West Brom: Head-to-Head Stats
- West Brom are unbeaten in the last three meetings between the two sides.
- Sunderland have only won once in the last 12 premier League meetings with West Brom.
- Sunderland can boast of a 2 match unbeaten record at home against West Brom after drawing 0-0 in the last encounter before winning 2-0.
Sunderland vs West Brom: Prediction
Sunderland must win this to keep their Premier League dreams alive, while West Brom have absolutely no pressure on them after keeping themselves far away from the relegation zone. The Black Cats have drawn their last three matches and may once again sit back and try to frustrate their opponents.
West Brom’s poor away form this season means Sunderland have a real chance to take all three points here. But who is going to score the goals for the Sunderland. A draw is a more realistic outcome here and goals may stay on the lower side, under 2.5 goals.
Best Bet: Under 2.32 Goals