A relegation threatened VfB Stuttgart host Borussia Dortmund at the Mercedes-Benz Arena hoping for a point to keep up with their fight to avoid drop from Bundesliga this season. The match is scheduled to kick-off at 14:30 GMT on Saturday, 23rd April 2016.
The Stuttgatters suffered another narrow defeat last week at Augsburg and are now without a win in their last 5 league games. They are currently 15th in the league table and the affairs at the bottom of the table are so tight that they are in a big risk to go down to second league if they fail to take points from the remaining four games this season.
Dortmund are in no real pressure as a second place finish is already guaranteed. They still have a mathematical chance of winning the Bundesliga title, but Bayern, who are 7 points above them must fail to win three of their next four matches.
- Vfb Stuttgart haven’t won in their last five matches, after losing in 3 and drawing 2.
- They have just one win from their last 9 league games.
- Stuttgart lost their last two home games, which were against stronger sides like Bayern Leverkusen and Bayern Munich.
- They have lost in 4 of their last 6 home games, while managed 2 wins.
- Borussia Dortmund haven’t lost a Bundesliga match in year 2016, which now reads a 13 match unbeaten run, with 12 wins and 3 draws.
- Dortmund have netted at-least 2 goals each in their last 5 Bundesliga games.
- Dortmund are on a 6 match unbeaten run away from home, with 4 wins and 2 draws.
Stuttgart: Team News
Kevin Grosskreutz, Serey Die and Daniel Ginczek are ruled out for the remainder of the season due to respective injuries.
Stephen Sama and Mart Risti are yet to reach full fitness following their thigh injury and both are doubts for the clash against Dortmund.
Boris Tashchi and Timo Baumgartl are suffering from flu and are unlikely to start on Saturday afternoon.
Stuttgart: Predicted Line-up (4-4-2)
Insua, Niedermeier, Sunjic, Schwaab,
Kostic, Didavi, Gentner, Klein,
Borussia Dortmund: Team News
Ilkay Gündogan is a doubt and is yet to attain full fitness, while Neven Subotic is ruled out for the rest of the season.
Dortmund’s start striker Pierre Emerick Aubameyang is sidelined through a toe injury and expected to return by the end of May.
Borussia Dortmund: Predicted Line-up (3-4-2-1)
Hummels, Bender, Piszczek,
Schmelzer, Castro, Weigl, Mkhitaryan,
Stuttgart vs Dortmund: Head-to-Head stats
- Dortmund are unbeaten in the last 12 matches against Stuttgart in all competitions, with 7 wins and 5 draws.
- The last 7 matches between the sides saw over 2.5 goals, with Dortmund scoring 23 goals, against Stuttgart’s 10.
- Dortmund are on a three match winning streak against Stuttgart in all competitions.
- Stuttgart lost the last 4 home games against Dortmund and haven’t won in the last 6.
- The last Stuttgart home win against Dortmund was on January 2010.
Stuttgart vs Dortmund: Prediction
Stuttgart needs inspiration from somewhere to prevent relegation this season and they are yet to produce a spirited performance in recent weeks. Dortmund on the other hand, are flying high in Bundesliga and the absense of Aubameyang will hardly affect their chances here.
My Prediction is a 3-0 away win for Borussia Dortmund and I back Marco Reus to score any time during the match. Over 2.5 goals will be a good bet for this match and Dortmund win to nil offers good return for money.