Sporting Gijon welcome Sevilla into El Molinon for Wednesday’s La Liga clash. The match is scheduled to kick-off at 19:45 GMT on 20th April 2016.
Sporting failed to win in any of their last three matches in the Spanish La Liga and are 18th in the league table with 29 points. They will be desperate to win and take all points from this match to move out of the relegation zone.
The 7th placed Sevilla are also in a poor run of form and haven’t won in any of their last 4 matches. Just 1 point from a possible 12, they are at the risk of failing to qualify for European football next season.
- Sporting have tasted win just once in their last 12 games.
- They have lost 5 of their last 8 games in the league.
- Gijon’s form in the last 5 matches read 1 win and 4 losses.
- Sevilla haven’t won in their last four games, with 3 defeats and 1 draw.
- Four of their last five games have seen over 2.5 games.
- Sevilla haven’t won any of their away matches in La Liga this season.
Sporting Gijon: Team News
Bernardo, Alex Menendez and Roberto Canella are injured, while Omar Mascarell is supended. There is more worry for head coach Abelardo Fernandez as Alex Barrera and Alberto Lora are struggling for fitness.
Sporting Gijon: Predicted Line-up (4-4-2)
Lopez, Mere. Hernandez, Vranjes
Jony, Alvarez, Cases, Halilovic
Sevilla: Team News
Marco Andreolli and Benoit Tremoulinas are sidelined for the Andalucians through injury and will be missing the trip.
Kevin Gameiro is a slight doubt and his fitness will be assesed close to kick-off.
Sevill: Predicted Line-up (4-2-3-1)
Mariano, Rami, Fazio, Escudero
Vitolo, Banega, Krohn-Dehli
Sporting Gijon vs Sevilla: Head-to-Head Stats
- The recent matches between the two sides are often hard fought affairs, Sporting have won in 2 and Sevilla have 3 of their last 5 meetings in the league.
- While playing at home, Sporting have won in 4 and lost in 1 of their last 5 matches.
- Sevilla have scored just one goal in their last five trips to Sporting.
Sporting Gijon vs Sevilla: Prediction
Sporting Gijon are desperate for points and despite failing to win their last three matches, they have shown incredible fighting spirit. And they have a perfect opportunity to move out of the relegation zone when they host a poor Sevilla on Wednesday.
Sevilla is the worst away side in the league this season and won none of their matches on the road so far. Also their away record at El Molinon is a poor won and scored just one goal in their last five visits.
I could see Sporting Gijon coming out with a win on Wednesday, but this could be a very narrow win. A 1-0 win for the hosts is the on the cards and this will be very precious 3 points for the Sporting side in the attempts to stay in the league next season.