Serbia start their tenure under newly appointed head-coach Slavoljub Muslin, when they host Cyprus for a friendly at the Gradski Stadion in Uzice on Wednesday evening.
Serbia football team’s failure to qualify for the Euro 2016 witnessed a merry go round of coaches. The incoming Slavoljub Muslin has a tough task on hand to rebuild a squad full of talents that hardly produce results on a football field.
Cyprus also failed to make it to the Euros in France and they have already set their sights on the World Cup qualifying campaign set to kick-off in October 2016. Christakis Christoforou’s side is mainly consisted of players from domestic leagues and he will be keen to use this as an opportunity to test as many players to get his squad ready for the big test.
- Serbia’s 1-0 win against Estonia, in their last friendly match on 29th March put an end to a terrible run of 3 match losing streak.
- Serbia have won 3 and lost 5 of their last 8, but failed to score a goal only on two occasions.
- Serbia’s home form in the last 5 matches is L-W-W-L-L, and they have scored at-least a goal in their last 4.
- A victory against Israel remains the only win for Cyprus in their last 5 matches, with 4 of them being defeats.
- Cyprus won 2 and lost 3 of their last 5 away games and 4 of those 5 games have seen over 2.5 goals.
Serbia vs Cyprus: Head-to-Head
- The teams had met on 3 occasions and Serbia are undefeated after winning in 2 and drawing 1; with goal aggregate 5-1.
- All the three matches were played in Cyprus and this will be the first ever time the teams met in a friendly in Serbia.
- Their last meeting was on February 2013, which finished in a 3-1 win for Serbia.
Serbia vs Cyprus: Prediction
The Serbia football team has plenty of talent at their disposal, despite their opponents who are also short on experience at international level. Serbia also hope for a new beginning under Muslin and they are expected to grab here a win against an opponent they have never lost. They have a very experienced defence and a midfield mixed with some young talents. Their attack is relatively young with Aleksandar Mitrovic of Newcastle and Lazar Markovic of Liverpool, but nonetheless the team is an exciting one to watch.
My prediction for this match is Serbia 3-0 Cyprus.