Sassuolo vs Genoa: Preview and Prediction

Sassuolo vs Genoa LeagueLane Predictions-Italian Serie A 20th August 2017

Sassuolo vs Genoa
2016/17 Italian Serie A.
Date: Sunday, 18 September 2016
Kick-Off: 14:00 UK,
Venue: Mapei Stadium (Reggio Emilia).

Fresh off an impressive midweek win, Sassuolo will be eager to continue in this same rich vein of form as they take on Genoa at the Mapei stadium this Sunday.

No Domenico Berardi? No problem. Although the Neroverdi are still without the services of their talismanic young forward, they appear to be coping just fine. Sassuolo come into this game having picked up an excellent 3-0 victory over Athletic Bilbao in what was their first ever Europa League group stage game on Thursday. Last term saw them finish in an impressive sixth, giving them a shot to feature in continental affairs for the first time in their history.

And one will be forgiven for even forgetting that they have never done this before. Sassuolo cruised to 4-1 results in their two play-off ties with Luzern and Crvena Zvezda before booking their spot in the group stage. Interestingly enough, they drew both away legs 1-1 before picking up 3-0 wins on their home turf, and they have again managed to do this in their home tie with Athletic Bilbao.

Yet despite their impressive European showings, their domestic form is a whole other matter entirely. Sassuolo have won just one out of their past three fixtures, but Eusebio Di Francesco will be very impressed with his squad’s great reaction after losing 3-1 to Juventus last week. In all fairness, the Neroverdi really should not be in their current spot as they did beat Pescara, only to see that result cruelly reversed due to fielding an ineligible player. However, their upcoming opponents, Genoa, have started their domestic campaign off in fine fashion.

The Grifone so far have a 100 per cent win record under Croatian tactician Ivan Juric, and were unfortunate to see their tie with Fiorentina interrupted due to Mother Nature. It indeed will be very interesting to see how this disruption affects them mentally as they prepare now to take on Sassuolo, or if Genoa will be able to restart without much trouble as they hope to make it three wins on the trot.

Sassuolo vs Genoa: Head-to-head statistics

  • Sassuolo and Genoa have met six times. The Grifone have won three of those meetings, including the past two ones.
  • Red cards are no surprise here. Two out of their three most recent meetings have seen at least one team finish the game with less than 11 men.
  • Sassuolo have won or drawn 80 per cent of their last 20 home fixtures.
  • Genoa have won only 20 per cent of their last 20 road fixtures, whilst drawing or losing the other 80 per cent (60 per cent losses).

Sassuolo vs Genoa: Prediction

Including pre-season fixtures, Genoa had come into their match with Fiorentina having won their past six games. They also have come out on top in their last two meetings with Sassuolo. Meanwhile, the Neroverdi may be flying high in Europe, but they have not been as impressive in Serie A. It will indeed be interesting to see how the continental debutants handle the rigors of playing more than one game a week after their exploits against Athletic Bilbao on Thursday.

All in all however, the momentum is firmly in Sassuolo’s court. Genoa’s rhythm was certainly interrupted by their abrupt end to their tie with Fiorentina, whilst the Neroverdi did show some mental fortitude to rebound from a heavy loss to Juventus. So although the Grifone do have that 100 per cent win record, and have won the past two editions of this fixture, Sassuolo are playing at home. And as we have seen this season, the Neroverdi are an excellent overall side on their home pitch. It will not be easy but Di Francesco’s team should be able to end Genoa’s perfect start and pick up a much needed league win, 2-1.

Sassuolo vs Genoa: Betting tips

Sassuolo to win at 6/5 (2.2)
Over 2.5 goals at 12/11 (2.09)

Get all the Serie A Match Previews, Predictions and Betting Tips at our Prediction Page.


Comments are closed.