Sampdoria vs Juventus
2016/17 Italian Serie A.
Date: Sunday, 19 March 2017
Kick-Off: 14:00 UK,
Venue: Stadio Comunale Luigi Ferraris (Genoa).
Juventus now turn their attention back to domestic affairs as they travel to face Sampdoria on Sunday.
Next up in Europe will be a tie with Barcelona in a rematch of the 2015 Champions League final. It’s not the match-up many Juve fans would have wanted, but optimism is high, and it will be a true test for La Vecchia Signora as the team aspire to finally establish themselves as amongst Europe’s elite alongside the Blaugrana and Real Madrid.
But with that mouth-watering fixture not taking place until April, Massimiliano Allegri’s men must focus on making sure they continue their march towards an unprecedented sixth straight Scudetto. However, upcoming opponents Sampdoria have been in good form themselves and currently find themselves in the top half of the table.
As Juventus come into this game having beaten AC Milan, the Blucerchiati also come into this match having won their most recent tie. For the first time since 1960, Sampdoria have beaten Genoa both “home” and “away” in the two Derby delle Lanterne contested this season. Overall, they have won five out of their last seven matches, and are unbeaten during that period.
Meanwhile, Juve’s recent switch to 4-2-3-1 has paid dividends, and the Bianconeri have won 12 out of their last 13 games. Still, Sampdoria will not be an easy test.
Juventus did beat Porto, but it was not an easy tie and there are concerns that fatigue could creep in.
Interestingly, Allegri’s squad tend to concede in their games after a Champions League match, and in fact, have conceded a goal in all but one of their six ties after a group stage tie. La Vecchia Signora also have conceded at least one goal in seven out of their last ten games following a mid-week game.
The last time Juve visited this stadium was back in November and they ended up suffering a shock loss to Genoa. That came immediately after a 3-1 victory over Sevilla, and that is something Sampdoria will be hoping to exploit as they hope to get the better of the Serie A champions.
Sampdoria vs Juventus: Head-to-head statistics
- Sampdoria have a record of W5-D5-L10 in their last 20 home games against teams ranked above them in the table.
- Juventus have a record of W13-D2-L5 in their last 20 away games against teams ranked below them in the table.
- Sampdoria have gained only one point in their last seven Serie A games against Juventus (1-1 in December 2014).
- Sampdoria are undefeated in their last 7 matches.
- Juventus have won 6 of their last 7 matches against Sampdoria in all competitions.
- The Bianconeri have won 8 of their last 9 matches.
- Juventus have scored at least 2 goals in their last 3 matches against Sampdoria in all competition.
- The Blucerchiati have lost their last three Serie A home games against Juventus, after going unbeaten in the previous five (W2 D3)
Sampdoria vs Juventus: Prediction
Juventus have won their last three meetings with Sampdoria at this ground, but all have been by a single goal. Remember, Sampdoria did manage to beat Roma here, so they are not a side to be underestimated. All of Juve’s losses have happened on the road. Still, the Bianconeri are not Italy’s no. 1 team by accident and expect them to get the job done here – but Sampdoria will not make it easy.
Sampdoria vs Juventus: Betting tips
BTTS – 21/20 (2.05)
Over 2.5 goals at evens
Juventus – WIN at 11/20 (1.55).