Sampdoria vs Empoli
Italian Serie A
Date: Sunday, 15th January 2017
Kick-Off: 14:00 UK/ 15:00 CET
Venue: Stadio Luigi Ferraris (Genoa).
Sampdoria will be hoping to arrest their downward spiral as they take on Empoli at the Stadio Luigi Ferraris on Sunday.
After a seemingly good start, things have gone awry. The Blucerchiati are winless in their past four games, and that includes three losses. Fortunately for them, perhaps, their upcoming opponents have done even worse off. The Azzurri have won just one out of their last 18 road fixtures and still have the worst performing attack in the league with just 11 goals scored thus far.
The Blucerchiati will be sorely disappointed with their results from their last game. Up until the 77th minute, things seemed to be going their way until they conceded two goals to hand the entire match to Napoli. Empoli, by contrast, come into this game having won their last match against Palermo, which has helped them steer clear of the drop zone.
The Azzurri scored four against Pescara on the road, which to date, is the most they have managed in a game on the road. Those four goals make up 80 per cent of their road goals so far this term. Despite having won recently, they are not out of the danger zone just yet and will be hoping to take advantage of Samp’s struggles as they aim to keep working their way up the table.
Sampdoria vs Empoli: Head-to-head statistics
- Sampdoria have a record of W12-D7-L1 in their past 20 home games against teams ranked below them in the table.
- Empoli are winless in their last 20 away games against teams ranked above them in the table (D5, L15).
- The Blucerchiati have won eight of the 10 home clashes against Empoli in the top flight (1D, 1L), conceding none in each of these wins.
- Sampdoria are unbeaten against Empoli in seven Serie A games (4W, 3D), keeping a clean sheet in four of them.
- The Blucerchiati have picked up only a point in the last four Serie A match-days, after going unbeaten in the previous five (3W, 2D).
- The Azzurri have failed to win 17 of their last 18 away matches (Serie A).
- The visitor’s last win away to Sampdoria came in 2006, while they’ve failed to beat the Blucerchiati in their last seven meetings.
Sampdoria vs Empoli: Prediction
Sampdoria and Empoli have not had the best of seasons, but the Azzurri will be happy with having beaten Palermo. That has helped lift them further away from the drop zone and they will again be trying to build on this. Sampdoria, meanwhile will be desperate to avoid dropping points yet again and do not obviously want to make it a fifth game sans a win. Their efforts could end up cancelling each other out.
Sampdoria vs Empoli: Betting tips
Under 2.5 goals at 8/11 (1.73)
DRAW at 5/2 (3.50)