Roma vs Napoli
Italian Serie A.
Date: Saturday, 4th March 2017
Kick-Off: 14:00 UK,
Venue: Stadio Olimpico (Rome).
Roma and Napoli will be hoping to rebound after their Coppa Italia semi-final first leg defeats as they lock horns in a tantalizing clash at the Stadio Olimpico on Saturday afternoon.
The Giallorossi beat Inter 3-1 in their last Serie A fixture to further strengthen their grip on second spot. However, Luciano Spalletti’s side are coming into this game having lost their Coppa Italia tie 2-0 to Lazio. That being said, Roma have other matters on their mind besides the Coppa Italia. They are through to the round of 16 in the Europa League after taking care of Villarreal, with Lyon representing their next opponent. And despite a losing battle in the Scudetto race, they still have not given up hope of trying to keep up pressure on Juventus at the top of the table.
Meanwhile, they will want to keep Napoli at bay, as second place will guarantee them an automatic Champions League berth. Having failed to make it past Porto in this season’s play-off, Roma surely will not want to have to go through that route. The Partenopei, of course, will have other ideas. Maurizio Sarri’s men now have lost two straight games in all competitions. Last weekend, they saw their Champions League qualifying ambitions take a major hit as they were shocked 2-0 by Atalanta.
That loss now has given La Dea some ground on them as their six point advantage has been cut to a much-more uncomfortable three. On top of that, Napoli face a tough test to overturn a 3-1 deficit against Juventus in the Coppa Italia. The Partenopei will be still smarting from that loss, as the Bianconeri were given two spot-kicks that overturned Napoli’s prior 1-0 advantage.
Roma vs Napoli: Head-to-head statistics
- Roma have a record of W14-D6-L0 in their last 20 home games against teams ranked below them in the table.
- Napoli have a record of W8-D3-L9 in their last 20 away games against teams ranked in the top half of the table.
- The Giallorossi have beaten Napoli in their last four home Serie A games, and have lost only one of the last 14 (W9, D4).
- The Partenopei have not scored away at Roma in over 270+ minutes of action.
- Their last goal scored at the Stadio Olimpico was by Edinson Cavani in May 2013
- Roma have won their last 15 home games.
- Napoli have scored at least 2 goals in their last 6 away matches.
- The Giallorossi have scored at least 2 goals in 11 of their last 13 home matches.
- The Partenopei have won five out of their last six away games.
Roma vs Napoli: Prediction
Napoli have a pretty impressive away record, with wins in five out of their last six games. They also have no problems scoring on the road. That being said, Roma’s home record is simply formidable. Their 15 straight wins have set a new club record for the side, and more important, they have won five out of their last five home ties with Napoli across all competitions. Both teams will be eager to get back on track after midweek losses, and the Partenopei will be loath to make it a third straight defeat across all comps.
This is a match that should provide plenty of entertainment and goals at both ends. Roma, however should have enough to get the better of their opponents, but it will likely be a pretty close game.
Roma vs Napoli: Betting tips
- Roma – WIN and BTTS at 5/2 (3.50)
- Over 2.5 goals at 3/5 (1.60).