Real Madrid host Villarreal in the mid-week Spanish La Liga fixture on Thurday night, scheduled to kick-off at 21:00 GMT, 20th April 2016.
Real Madrid’s title bid is revived by Barcelona’s slip in recent weeks and are just point behind both Barcelona and Atletico Madrid. The 5-1 away win at Getafe in the weekend marked their seventh win a row and are poised to make a strong finish to the season.
Villarreal fell to a 2-1 away defeat at Vallecano in the weekend which put an end to their three match unbeaten run in the league. Currently fourth in the league, the yellow submarines have no chance of catching up with the third placed Real Madird, who are at a 15 point distance.
- Real Madrid won all of their last 7 matches in the Spanish La Liga.
- They have lost only once in their last 18 matches in the league.
- While playing at home, Real Madrid had scored 4 or more goals in 7 of their last 8 matches.
- The Los Blancos kept clean sheets in their previous two home games.
- Villarreal lost 3 of their last 6 La Liga matches, while they won 2 and drawn in 1.
- The yellow submarines are on a poor run of form away from home and have won only once from their last 7 matches in the league.
- Villarreal have lost twice inside the last three away games and drawn all of their last 4 games prior to that.
Real Madrid: Team News
Gareth Bale and Daniel Carvajal are the players out with injury for Real Madrid. Danilo returns from suspension and he is an automatic choice at right back in the absence of suspended Carvajal.
Modric, Kroos and Casemiro would be the midfield trio, which means Isco will be left out. While James get another run in the attack due to Bale’s injury.
Real Madrid: Predicted Line-up (4-3-3)
Danilo, Ramos, Pepe, Marcelo
Modric, Casemiro, Kroos
Ronaldo, Benzema, James
Villarreal: Team News
The Yellow Submarines will miss atleast six players through injury. Mateo Musacchio, Samu Castillejo, Jaume Costa, Tomás Pina and Roberto Soldado are the players sidelined.
Antonio Rukavina and Bruno return from suspension and both are expected to start on Wednesday night.
Villarreal: Predicted Line-up (4-4-2)
Mario, Bailly, Ruiz, Rukavina
Santos, Trigueros, Bruno, Suarez
Real Madrid vs Villarreal: Prediction
Real Madrid are red-hot at the moment and scored 15 goals in their last three home games and conceded just 1. Villarreal’s recent form is not that great in away games and won just once in their last 7 games.
Real Madrid are heavy favourites to win this one and will be hoping to make most from Barcelona’s slip. They are very likely to score 3 or more goals on Wednesday night.
My score prediction is Real Madrid 4-1 Villarreal.