Palermo vs Pescara
2016/17 Italian Serie A.
Date: Thursday, 22 December 2016
Kick-Off: 19:45 UK,
Venue: Stadio Renzo Barbera (Palermo).
Palermo will hope to head into the Christmas break on a small winning streak as they welcome fellow relegation candidates Pescara to the Stadio Renzo Barbera on Thursday evening.
The Rosanero finally ended their nine-game losing streak by shocking Genoa in a seven goal thriller. Seemingly against all odds, Palermo pulled off an impressive fightback to score two late, late goals and score four against the Grifone. Even more impressive is the fact that no other team have managed to score four times versus Genoa, who have beaten teams like Juventus and AC Milan at the Stadio Luigi Ferraris.
Still, Palermo are not out of the woods just yet. Heading into this round, the Sicilians find themselves sitting in 19th spot. Only Pescara have done worse. In addition, they are still the only side (the other being Pescara) yet to win a home game all season. They will not have a better chance to end this bad run than against a team whose only win was by default. Eugenio Corini will have taken heart from his men’s impressive showing over the weekend and will expect that boost in confidence to see them through against a fellow relegation candidate.
Crotone currently sit in 18th, also on nine points, and the last safe spot is occupied by Empoli, who have earned 14. A win for Palermo, then, could see them possibly close some of that gap between themselves and the Azzurri, depending on how things go in their own game with Atalanta. Regardless, the magical number for safety is usually 40 points or so, and the Rosanero have a long way to go in order to achieve that total.
Meanwhile, Pescara’s woes don’t seem to be ending any time soon. They come into this game having suffered a 3-0 drubbing at the hands of a Bologna side who had not won a road fixture in quite some time. Not exactly encouraging reading for an already beleaguered manager Massimo Oddo, who just may be saying arrivederci to his current job by the time 2017 rolls around.
Palermo vs Pescara: Head-to-head statistics
- Palermo have a record of W12-D6-L2 in their past 20 home games against teams in the bottom half of the table.
- This will be the third meeting in Serie A between Palermo and Pescara.
- The Rosanero have yet to beat the Delfini in the top flight (1D, 1L).
- Palermo have lost their last 8 home matches.
- Pescara have a record of W2-D1-L17 in their last 20 away games against teams above them in the table.
- The Delfini have lost their past five away games.
- The last time they lost six on the road was in April 1993.
- Pescara have earned just eight points from their first 17 games.
- Each of the past five teams to do this were relegated at the end of the season.
- Pescara have conceded at least 2 goals in 5 of their last 6 matches.
Palermo vs Pescara: Prediction
This couldn’t come at a better time for Palermo. The Rosanero still have yet to win a game on home soil, and having managed to put four past a Genoa side who are tough to beat at home will help their confidence. They have all the tools and impetus they need to get another good result here and heap misery on a fellow relegation candidate.
This is nothing short of a six-pointer and could mark the turnaround Palermo desperately need to hopefully kick start 2017 in a better vein of form. Pescara appear totally bereft and seem to have already resigned themselves to playing in Serie B next season.
Palermo vs Pescara: Betting tips
Palermo to Win at 6/5 (2.20).