Norwich City host Newcastle United in a high profile relegation battle in the English Premier League on Saturday, 2nd April 2016.
Both teams are separated by 3 points at the start of the match, with Norwich at 17th and Newcastle at 19th in the league table. Both teams will be desperate for a win as they want to get out of the danger zone as soon as possible.
There is some positives for Norwich City manager Alex O’Neil as his team put an end to 11win-less streak by West Brom 1-0 in their last meeting. They will be hoping to carry the morale in to this match against a side who hardly fare in away matches.
A change in managerial position at has hardly brought any positives at Newcastle as they struggled to draw against fellow relegation candidates Sunderland at home in their last match. They can take some positives as there is some change to the rate at which they concede goals since Rafa Benitez took charge last month.
- Norwich City end their 11 match winless streak with a 1-0 away win at West Brom in their last match.
- Prior to the win at West Brom, Norwich have lost in 9 of those 11 Premier League matches.
- Norwich are without a win in their last five home matches, with 3 defeats and 2 draws.
- Four out of Norwich’s last five home matches have seen over 2.5 goals.
- Newcastle United are without a win in their last 5 Premier League matches and lost in 4 of them.
- They have only won once in their last 8 matches and took just 4 points from a possible 24.
- Newcastle have lost all of their last 7 away matches in the Premier League and scored only 2 goals during that period.
Norwich City: Team News
Alex Neil will be without Nathan Redmond and Alex Tettey, who are still sidelined due to respective injuries. While Robbie Brady and Ryan Bennett are knocks but may still recover on-time and could find a place in the bench.
We can expect an unchanged Norwich eleven which started in the 1-0 win over West BRom, with Chelsea loanee Patrick Bamford partnering Dieumerci Mbokani in the attacking in a 4-4-2 formation.
Norwich: Expected Starting Line-up (4-4-2)
Ruddy – Olsson, Bassong, Klose, Martin – Brady, Howson, O’Neil, Jarvis – Bamford, Mbokani.
Newcastle: Team News
Newcastle United are still plagued by injuries and the latest to the list is their goal keeper Rob Elliot, who picked up a knock during his international duty. With Tim Krul already out injured, Karl Darlow could make his second Premier League start of the season.
In defense, Jack Colback is suspended, while Daryl Janmaat is injured and joins Paul Dummett, Fabricio Coloccini and Massadio Haidara on the sidelines.
Aleksandar Mitrovic is a doubt as he is yet to recover from concussion suffered before the international break.
Cheick Tiote, Sylvain Marveaux and Gabriel Obertan have returned to full training and could be available for selection here.
Newcastle United: Expected Starting Line-up (4-2-3-1)
Darlow – Mbemba, Lascelles, Taylor, Sissoko – Tiote, Shelvey – Townsend, Wijnaldum, Perez – Papiss Cisse.
Norwich City vs Newcastle United: Head-to-Head Stats
The reverse fixture of this season’s clash between the two sides ended in a 6-2 win for Newcastle United. Georginio Wijnaldum was the star of the show, scoring four goals in the rout.
- Newcastle United haven’t lost in their last 6 matches against Norwich in all competition, with 4 wins and 2 draws.
- At the same time, Norwich are unbeaten at home against Newcastle in the last five matches. The last 2 matches were 0-0 draws, while the rest three were wins.
Norwich City vs Newcastle United: Prediction
Norwich will be desperate for a win here and they will full of confidence after the 1-0 win over West Brom. There is also a fresh air of hope among the Green and Yellow that they can put up a fight to stay in the Premier League next season.
Newcastle on the other hand have shown signs of improvement in the last two games, but the long injury crisis is a bitter blow to their chances. They haven’t done well on the road recently and their record at Carrow Road in recent seasons is poor.
There will be no other perfect time for Norwich to face Newcastle and distant themselves from relegation zone with a win.
Best Bet: Norwich to win @ 2.15