Newcastle Jets vs Melbourne City
Australia A-League Play-off Semifinal
Date: Friday, 27th April 2018
Kick-off at 10:50 UK/ 11:50 CET
Venue: Hunter Stadium (Newcastle).
Melbourne City booked the semifinal date with a solid 2-0 win over Brisbane Roar. They will be in high spirits after beating the Jets at their own turf twice this season.
Newcastle Jets are reaching the play-offs for the first time since 2010 after finishing second in the regular season. This is also their best finish in the regular season since they last won the title back in 2008.
The Jets had a few hiccups towards the end of the campaign as they three on the bounce on heavy margins. Yet, the final match-week saw them bouncing back with a thumping 8-2 away win at Central Coast.
The City certainly have the momentum at this point having won 4 of their last 5 games. Still, their away form can be better since there is only 1 win from their last four outings. And that win came against none than their semifinal opponent on April 1st.
Melbourne City were third in the regular season table, 7 points behind their Friday’s hosts. This is their fourth consecutive play-off appearance and third overall at the semifinal. They are yet to make it to the final of the competition.
Newcastle Jets vs Melbourne City: Head-to-head
- The Jets lost two home fixtures against City this season, 1-2 in December and 0-3 in the beginning of this April.
- Thus, Melbourne City are unbeaten in the last 4 league games against Newcastle Jets across all venues with 3 wins and 1 draw.
- There is only 1 stalemate in the last 11 head-to-head meetings between the sides.
- The last 11 meetings saw over 2.5 goals.
- The last 7 h2h matches saw at least 1 goal in the first half
- At home, the Jets lost 4 of the last 6 against Melbourne City while winning the remaining 2.
Newcastle Jets vs Melbourne City: Prediction
A leaky defense has been the problem for the Jets towards the end of the campaign. They could get their work cut out here since Melbourne City are a team that had scored in every away game this season.
Still, the visitors do have the similar issues at back even though it is not worse as their opponents. Therefore, my first recommended tip for this match is both teams to score.
Since there are no draws in the last 12 head-to-head meetings between these two sides at the Hunter Stadium, we may take the combo bet ‘both teams to score no draw’ offered at 2.20 odd by 10bet.
Newcastle Jets vs Melbourne City: Bet Tips
- Both teams to Score @ 1.57 odd at 1xBet is the safe option
- Value is in taking the combo BTTS NO Draw for 2.20 odd at 10Bet.