NEC Nijmegen vs PEC Zwolle:
Dutch Eredivisie 2016/17,
Date: Friday, 5 August 2016,
Kick-Off: 19:00 UK
Venue: Goffertstadion (Nijmegen).
The Dutch Eredivisie 2016/17 season kick starts when the ball rolls at the Goffertstadion on Friday as NEC Nijmegen play hosts to PEC Zwolle.
NEC Finished 10th in last season’s league standings and their preparations for the new season has been far from ordinary. Their new coach Peter Hyballa hasn’t had the best of the starts to his new job as he witnessed his team losing in the last four friendly games. Hannover 96, Zulte-Waregem and the Eerste Divisie outfit Achilles ’29 scored 5 goals each against them. They conceded 17 goals in the last 4, while managed to score just 4.
PEC Zwolle were 8th in the league last season claiming the last spot for Europa League Play-off. However, Utrecht denied them a ticket by defeating 5-2 on aggregate in the play-off semifinal. Their performance in the friendly matches are slightly better than their Friday’s opponents, with 3 wins and 3 losses. But, the two 4-0 heavy defeats against Panathinaikos and Southampton must not be taken lightly.
NEC Nijmegen vs PEC Zwolle: Head-to-Head Stats
- PEC have heavily dominated in the last four league meetings against NEC with an unbeaten run that includes 3 wins and a draw.
- NEC’s last home match against PEC resulted in a thrilling 2-2 draw. The hosts were 2-0 down at the half-time break, but responded with two quickly goals just after the break.
- NEC failed to win in their last three home matches against PEC, which includes 2 draws and a loss. Their last win at home against PEC was on 12th December 2003.
- PEC lead the overall head-to-head record in 15 matches so far against NEC, with 7 wins, 5 draws and 3 losses.
NEC Nijmegen vs PEC Zwolle: Prediction
NEC Nijmegen were one of the strongest home sides in the last Eredivisie season. The won 11, drew 2 and lost 4 of the 17 league at the Goffertstadion. While PEC are a side that don’t fare well in away games as they lost in 9 of their 17 trips. This makes the hosts slight favourites for this Eredivisie opener, but they do not have a healthy record against their Friday’s opponent.
At the same time, the past meetings between these two sides indicate that there will be no scarcity of goals in this encounter. So a high scoring draw is on the cards here which could result in something like 2-2 at the end of full 90 minutes. The safe option for this match is to back the over 2.5 goals.
NEC Nijmegen vs PEC Zwolle: Tips
- Over 2.5 goals.
- Both Teams to Score.
- Double Chance: NEC win/draw