Napoli vs Torino
2016/17 Italian Serie A.
Date: Sunday, 18 December 2016
Kick-Off: 14:00 UK,
Venue: Stadio San Paolo (Naples).
Napoli will look to keep their revival going as they take on Torino at the Stadio San Paolo on Sunday afternoon.
The Partenopei are currently on a two game winning streak after crushing Cagliari 5-0. Prior to that, they put three past Inter and overall, are unbeaten in their past five matches. Having secured top spot in their Champions League group, they unfortunately have been “rewarded” with a tie against reigning champs Real Madrid, but with that taking place in February, Maurizio Sarri’s objective is to ensure his side keep working their way back up the league table.
At one point, it looked like Napoli were done and dusted as far as the Scudetto race was concerned. They still do have quite a bit of work to do, as they currently sit in fourth, which is eight points behind Juventus. Still, given that Milan’s own unbeaten run ended, they are now only a point off third spot and four behind second placed Roma. The goal, then, will be to work their way into a Champions League berth and then take it from there.
With Lazio nipping at their heels, Napoli will be loath to drop points, but their opponents Torino will want to burst their bubble. The Granata had been on a great run before seeing their three-match winning streak snapped, and they now come into this match having lost two in a row. Joe Hart’s Derby della Mole was not one to remember, as he conceded three goals as La Vecchia Signora brushed aside their city rivals without much fuss.
The English shot-stopper will be hoping to redeem himself after another frustrating game, but could find it tough against a Napoli side growing in confidence.
Napoli vs Torino: Head-to-head statistics
- Napoli have a record of W16-D3-L1 in their last 20 home games against teams below them in the table.
- Torino have a record of W2-D3-L15 in their last 20 away games against teams above them in the table.
- The Partenopei have lost just one out of their last 27 home games.
- The Granata have won just one out of their last seven meetings with Napoli (six losses).
- Napoli have won their last three league games against Torino at the Stadio San Paolo.
- Before then, Torino had lost just one out of their last eight trips to the San Paolo (two wins, five draws).
- The Partenopei have scored eight and conceded none.
- They have not kept three Serie A clean sheets in a row in over a year (in November 2015).
Napoli vs Torino: Prediction
With Juventus and Roma locking horns on Saturday, this could represent a great chance for Napoli to close the gap on the top two sides. Just as the Partenopei benefited from Milan’s loss to Roma, they will definitely have one eye on the outcome of Saturday’s big game. Napoli have also been quite excellent at home, with just one loss in their past 27 home matches.
Torino, by contrast, have struggled on the road with four losses from their eight thus far. In fact, the Granata to date have only beaten Palermo and Crotone – two sides who are sitting in the relegation zone.
Still, they have a solid attack, and Napoli’s defense is still needing some sorting out. Hence, viewers could see goals from both ends in this one, but Napoli are a side in the ascendancy and coupled with their good record at the Stadio San Paolo, should be able to come out on top in this one.
Napoli vs Torino: Betting tips
Both teams to score – YES at 8/13 (1.62)
Napoli – WIN at 9/20 (1.45).