Napoli vs Pescara
Italian Serie A
Date: Sunday, 15th January 2017
Kick-Off: 14:00 UK/ 15:00 CET
Venue: Stadio San Paolo (Naples).
Napoli will be looking to continue their good start to 2017 as they take on struggling side Pescara at the Stadio San Paolo on Sunday afternoon.
So far, so good for the Partenopei, who booked their spot in the Coppa Italia quarter-finals after seeing off lower-tier side Spezia mid-week. They currently sit in third spot in the Serie A table, and can continue trying to close the gap on Roma and Juventus by taking care of business against Pescara.
The Delfini are still stuck in the relegation zone and are looking set for a return to Serie B. They still have yet to win an actual game on the pitch after being given all three points against Sassuolo due to their opponents playing an ineligible player. Unfortunately, on paper at least, this appears to be a very lopsided clash. Napoli have scored a whopping 42 goals so far. That’s three times Pescara’s total. But there just may be a bright light at the end of the tunnel for the visitors. The Partenopei may have a good attack, but they still need to fix some problems at the back.
And their defensive options have been reduced further due to the absence of Kalidou Koulibaly for the AFCON tournament. Napoli have conceded in 70 per cent of their home games, whilst Pescara have scored in nearly 70 per cent of their road fixtures. Even in defeat, they have still managed to score, in 50 per cent of those matches.
Still, despite this, Napoli will be expected to be way too strong for the struggling visitors, who will definitely not go down without a fight. But all in all, this looks set to be three points in the bag for Maurizio Sarri’s men. For instance, Dries Mertens has scored 11 goals alone – which is only three less than Pescara’s entire total.
Napoli vs Pescara: Head-to-head statistics
- Napoli have a record of W17-D2-L1 in their last 20 home games against teams ranked below them in the table.
- Pescara have a record of W2-D2-L16 in their last 20 away games against teams ranked above them in the table.
- Napoli have lost only two of the previous 13 Serie A clashes against Pescara (8W, 3D).
- The Partenopei are on a run of eight Serie A unbeaten games, the longest current streak in the competition.
- By contrast, the Delfini are on the longest winless run in Serie A (16 games).
- Napoli have found the net in 46 of their last 47 home games in the league.
- Pescara have kept just one clean sheet this term – no other side has done worse.
Napoli vs Pescara: Prediction
Despite some defensive issues, Napoli come into this game on the back of an eight game unbeaten run in Serie A, winning four straight in front of their own fans in all competitions. Having seen their last game cancelled due to snow, Pescara will arrive at the Stadio San Paolo with a bit more rest – but that’s not expected to make much of a difference. Damage control will be their objective for the entire 90 minutes as they try to keep the score-line as low as possible.
Napoli vs Pescara: Betting tips
Napoli to WIN and BTTS – YES at 13/10 (2.30)
Over 2.5 goals at 1/3 (1.33).