AC Milan vs Empoli
2016/17 Italian Serie A.
Date: Sunday, 23 April 2017
Kick-Off: 14:00 UK,
Venue: Stadio San Siro (Milan).
After fighting to secure a 2-2 draw with Inter in last weekend’s Derby della Madonnina, AC Milan will hope to build upon that as they chase a European football spot.
The Rossoneri are now under new ownership and they are desperate to end their absence from European competition. The last time they featured was during the 2013/2014 season. It’s a shocking fact for a team who are only second to Real Madrid in terms of Champions League titles won, but Milan are nowhere near Europe’s elites anymore. They now have to start all over from square one, and first will be to at least qualify for the Europa League.
They can do that for the upcoming season, as they are now in a good position to clinch sixth spot. Fifth, and to some extent, fourth isn’t out of Milan’s reach either, and they will want to pick up all three points, especially considering who their upcoming opponents will be.
Empoli may be fancying their chances at another upset after shockingly beating Fiorentina, but Milan have won nearly 70 per cent of their games at the San Siro. Furthermore, the Azzurri have won just twice on the road all season. That is due to their horrible scoring record, and to date, they have netted just eight times in their travels.
If you don’t score, you can’t win. That’s the problem Empoli have run into, and they are only given a reprieve due to the bottom three faring even worse. That being said, Crotone has been on a kick as of late and Empoli gave themselves a reprieve by beating Fiorentina.
Overall, Empoli have failed to score in nearly 75 per cent of their road fixtures, but they sure know how to keep score-lines low in general. All in all, less than one-fifth of Empoli’s games have seen more than four goals and they will be expected to hold out for as long as possible. Although, having beaten Fiorentina, Milan will not want to take them too lightly.
Milan vs Empoli: Head-to-head statistics
- Milan have a record of W12-D6-L2 in their last 20 home games against teams ranked below them in the table.
- Empoli have a record of W1-D5-L14 in their last 20 away games against teams ranked above them in the table.
- Empoli have won only two of the 23 Serie A meetings against Milan (D7, L14) both in away games, in 2003 and 2007.
- Milan have won four home games in a row: the last time they reached five, in a single season, was May 2014.
- The Rossoneri are undefeated in their last 6 matches against Empoli in all competitions.
- Milan have scored at least 2 goals in 5 of their last 6 matches against Empoli in all competitions
Milan vs Empoli: Prediction
Milan have won four of their last six matches at home to Empoli, whilst scoring at least two goals per game in five out of their last six meetings with the Azzurri. The Rossoneri may be able to keep a clean sheet here as Empoli have the weakest attack in the division, but they will not want to drop any points as a European football spot is at stake.