Luxembourg vs Republic of Ireland
World Cup Qualification
Date: Sunday, 14 November 2021
Kick-off at 19:45 UK / 20:45 CET
Venue: Stade de Luxembourg.
Republic of Ireland have improved their defensive showings drastically of late. The five-at-the-back formation looks great for Stephen Kenny and his men right now and we don’t quite see too much joy for Luxembourg’s forwards on Sunday. Republic of Ireland to win in a low-scoring affair is how we see the happenings in this game.
Luxembourg vs Republic of Ireland Head-to-head
- Republic of Ireland won four and lost one of five clashes against Luxembourg.
- However, the lone Luxembourg’s victory came just in this qualifying term as they stunned the Irish squad 0-1 in Dublin.
- Only one of the last four head to head games saw three or more goals scored.
- It has been 34 years since these two teams last locked horns before this qualifying campaign, though.
Luxembourg vs Republic of Ireland Predictions & Analysis
Luxembourg host Ireland in the last game of their World Cup Qualification campaigns on Sunday evening.
While neither of the two teams are any near the top-two spots in Group A, they will both come into this tie with an improved confidence.
Luxembourg ended a three-loss streak with an impressive 1-3 victory over Azerbaijan on Thursday afternoon.
The team led by Luc Holtz took advantage of Tellur Mutallimov’s early red card for Azerbaijan as they bagged three second-half goals in Baku.
They hold the third place in the group which can generally be regarded as a successful result for Holtz and his troops.
Republic of Ireland, on the other side, had a horrendous campaign. They have won only one of seven matches so far.
However, the Irish team did begin to play much better as soon as they lost all hopes for the top-two spots.
They demolished Azerbaijan and Qatar in two October affairs before offering a great resistance against the likes of Portugal three days ago in Dublin.
Key Stats for Betting
- Luxembourg lost three, drew one, and won one of the last five matches.
- They failed to score in each of the back-to-back defeats to Serbia and Portugal in October.
- Republic of Ireland kept three consecutive clean sheets.
- Republic of Ireland look very tough to break down with a five-man defense.
Tips for Luxembourg vs Republic of Ireland
Republic of Ireland to win @ 1.90 (9/10)
Under 2.5 goals FT @ 1.61 (8/13).