Tottenham face a tough task on macthday 32 in English Premier League as they face Liverpool at Anfield on Saturday night.
Tottenham are currently second in the Premier League table, five points behind leaders Leicester City and they must win this one to keep the pace at the top of the table. The Spurs are the best offensive and defensive side in the league this season, but they had little success in recent outings against their Saturday’s opponents Liverpool.
Liverpool are currently 9th in the league table and played 2 games less than other teams and suddenly they have an outside chance of finishing in top four. Even though their form has been fairly inconsistent they might want to win this and wait and watch how the results of other matches open up their chances to progress further in the Premier League.
- Liverpool squandered a 2 goal lead in the 3-2 defeat against Southampton, which brought an end to their 4 match unbeaten run, with 3 consecutive wins and a draw.
- The last 5 matches of the Reds have seen over 2.5 goals and they have scored 16 goals during that time and conceded 6.
- Liverpool are left with just 1 win in their last 4 home matches in Premier League and scored 8 goals against 7 conceded.
- Tottenham Hotspur are the team with the best offense and defense in the Premier League so far this season and scored 56 goals against 24 conceded, with a goal difference of +32.
- They have won 8 out of their last 10 matches in the league, with just one defeat coming in the London derby against West Ham.
- The Spurs have won 4 and lost 1 out of their last 5 away games in the league, scoring 10 goals against 3 conceded.
Liverpool: Team News
Joe Gomez, Danny Ings, Jordan Rossiter and Kevin Stewart are confirmed absentees for Liverpool through injury.
There is also crisis in the attacking department as Robert Firmino along with Benteke and Origi are carrying minor knocks and are unlikely to be risked.
Alberto Moreno and Lucas Leiva are short of match fitness and the former will be replaced by Jon Flanagan at right back position.
Jordan Henderson and Emre Can are the likely midfield duo in a 4-2-3-1 formation with Coutinho, Lallana and Milner ahead of them and Daniel Sturridge leading the attack.
Liverpool: Expected Starting Line-up (4-2-3-1)
Mignolet – Clyne, Lovren, Sakho, Flanagan – Henderson, Can – Coutinho, Lallana, Milner – Sturridge.
Tottenham: Team News
Spurs will be without the injured players Nabil Bentaleb, Jan Vertonghen and Clinton N’Jie in their trip to Liverpool.
Toby Alderweireld and Erik Lamela are minor doubts, but the duo are expected to be fit in time to start on Saturday’s encounter.
Mauricio Pochettino is expected to field the strongest possible line-up as he look to end the bad run of form at Anfield.
Tottenham: Expected Starting Line-up (4-2-3-1)
Lloris – Walker, Rose, Wimmer, Alderweild – Dembele, Dier – Lamela, Alli, Eriksen – Kane.
Liverpool vs Tottenham: Head-to-Head Stats
- Liverpool are unbeaten in the last 9 meetings with Tottenham, with 6 wins and 3 draws.
- Before the 0-0 draw in the reverse fixture of this season, Liverpool have won 6 matches in a row against Tottenham.
- Also, 6 out of their last 7 meetings have seen over 2.5 goals.
- Liverpool have won their last three matches at Anfield against Tottenham, and drawn 2 more which keep them on a 5 match unbeaten record at home.
- Tottenham’s last win against Liverpool was at White Hart on September 2011 and their last win at Anfield was on May 2011.
Liverpool vs Tottenham: Prediction
Liverpool are a pretty inconsistent team but their strong record against Spurs could give them confidence going into this big match, Moreover, the Reds have performed admirable well against the stronger teams in the league and you can expect them to on top on their game on Saturday evening.
Tottenham on the other side are playing some fearless attacking football in recent weeks. They had one off-day at London against West Ham, but rest of the times they have been right on the money.
Our statistical predictor heavily favours Liverpool to win this one, but I believe the Spurs are out there to end their three match losing streak at Anfield.
Best Bet: Tottenham to win @ 2.88