Lazio vs Chievo
Italian Serie A.
Date: Saturday, 28 January 2017
Kick-Off: 17:00 UK,
Venue: Stadio Olimpico (Rome).
Lazio will be looking to get their push for a top three spot back on track as they host Chievo on Saturday evening in the Eternal City.
The Biancocelesi are seeking to feature in the Champions League next season, but Simone Inzaghi’s ambitions took a major hit last weekend as they lost 2-0 to Juventus. That result, coupled with Napoli and Roma winning their games, means that the Aquile are at least four points away from a Champions League berth.
Well, they will get a golden opportunity to re-group against Chievo. The Flying Donkeys come into this game having lost their past four league games. Most disconcerting for Rolando Maran’s side is the rate they appear to be shipping goals left and right. Chievo have conceded at least three goals in four out of their last five ties across all competitions, and whilst they are nowhere near the drop zone, it still will be a disconcerting trend.
Usually, safety, which is Chievo’s objective every season, requires 40 points. Certainly, the Flying Donkeys will reach that total. But with each passing game and each resulting loss, surely, fans will be getting a bit anxious as to when exactly their team will get out of this rut.
Lazio will have to make do without Ciro Immobile due to suspension, but will have to be wary of the Flying Donkeys despite their bad form. Chievo have managed to score in their past four road games, whilst the Biancocelesti are still struggling to keep things under control defensively.
Lazio vs Chievo: Head-to-head statistics
- Lazio are unbeaten in their last 20 home games against teams ranked below them in the table (W16, D4).
- Chievo have a record of W2-D3-L15 in their past 20 away games against teams ranked above them in the table.
- The Biancocelesti have lost only three of their last 22 Serie A games against Chievo Verona (W10, D9).
- They have managed to keep clean sheets in nine of those encounters.
- Lazio and Chievo have drawn seven of the 14 Serie A meetings at Stadio Olimpico, whilst the Aquile have won three and the Flying Donkeys have won four.
- Chievo have shipped three or more goals in four out of their last five games across all competitions.
Lazio vs Chievo: Prediction
Lazio have conceded in six out of their last seven Serie A games at the Stadio Olimpico. They will also be missing the services of Ciro Immobile due to suspension, whilst Keita Balde Diao is away at the AFCON tournament. However, they’re coming into this game having lost and will be extra motivated to get back on track. Chievo are in free-fall at the moment, and although they do manage to score on the road, they can’t keep their opponents from taking control and winning the game. Having lost 3-0 at home will have dented their already weakened confidence and Lazio can take advantage of that.
Lazio vs Chievo: Betting tips
Over 2.5 goals at evens (2.00)
Lazio to WIN and BTTS at 11/4 (3.75).