Juventus vs Roma
2016/17 Italian Serie A.
Date: Saturday, 17 December 2016
Kick-Off: 19:45 UK,
Venue: Juventus Stadium (Turin).
A titanic tie awaits as first-placed Juventus take on second-placed Roma at Juventus Stadium on Saturday evening.
This arguably is the biggest game of matchday 17 in Serie A. Thanks to a narrow win over high-flying AC Milan, Roma now sit alone in second. The Giallorossi have long had ambitions to mount a serious challenge for the Scudetto, and all in all, they have had a solid season thus far. However, Juventus still remain on another level entirely, but Roma could further enhance their title chances by becoming the first side to beat the Bianconeri at Juventus Stadium this campaign.
Of course, that will be much easier said than done. For starters, Juve’s three losses – to Milan, Inter, and Genoa – all took place on the road. The last team to defeat La Vecchia Signora on their home turf was Udinese. That was back in August 2015, on matchday one of the 2015/2016 season, and to date, the Zebrette are the only team to have defeated Juve on home turf on a season opening day.
Since then, they have won their last 24 home games at Juventus Stadium, which includes all eight games this season. Roma, too, also have a perfect record at the Stadio Olimpico, which was extended to eight after earning hard-fought 1-0 win over Milan courtesy of a goal from Radja Nainggolan. The Lupi also have lost three matches this term, and like Juve, all were on the road (against Fiorentina, Torino, and Atalanta).
However, Roma’s record against Juventus is quite poor. Not only have they lost 14 out of their last 22 meetings, but they have lost every single one of their past five trips to Juventus Stadium.
In terms of personnel, Mohamed Salah and Francesco Totti could return for the visitors, whilst Juventus now have Paulo Dybala back in the fold, but are still without Andrea Barzagli, Dani Alves, and Leonardo Bonucci.
Juventus vs Roma: Head-to-head statistics
- Juventus have won their last five Serie A ties with Roma at Juventus Stadium.
- During that run they have scored 15 and conceded just three goals.
- The Bianconeri have a 100 per cent win record in their past 20 home games against teams ranked below them in the table.
- Roma have a record of W9-D4-L7 in their last 20 away games against teams in the top half of the table.
- Juventus have scored at least two goals in their last 12 Serie A home games.
- The Giallorossi have won just three out of their last 22 meetings with Juventus (five draws, 14 losses).
- Juventus have netted at least one goal in 21 out of their last 22 games against Roma.
- The only time they have failed to score was back in February 2013, when they lost 1-0.
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in Juve’s last nine matches
Juventus vs Roma: Prediction
It may not be a derby, but Juventus vs. Roma has become a pretty big clash of its own due to the Giallorossi attempting to establish themselves as a serious title contender as of late. Juventus currently enjoy a four point lead over Roma, which means that win, lose, or draw, they will still be on top of the Serie A table. However, with a potentially tricky Supercoppa Italiana tie with Milan coming up, Massimiliano Allegri’s men will want to head into the Christmas hiatus still enjoying a more comfortable lead over the chasing pack.
A win for Juve will give them a seven point lead at the midway point, something that will certainly bolster their chances at making it a sixth straight Scudetto this May. In terms of outcome, Roma’s attack is among the strongest in the division, and they will be expected to find a way to score. Still, the Lupi have a lousy record at this ground and overall their away form is not as favorable as their showings at the Stadio Olimpico. Expect both teams to score in what could be a tense tactical battle, but ultimately the Bianconeri should be able to get at least a point from this one.
Juventus vs Roma: Betting tips
- Both teams to score – YES at 7/9 (1.77)
- Over 2.5 goals at 4/5 (1.80)
- Juventus – WIN at 4/5 (1.80).