Juventus vs Empoli
2016/17 Italian Serie A.
Date: Saturday, 25 February 2017
Kick-Off: 19:45 UK,
Venue: Juventus Stadium (Turin).
Fresh off their Champions League exploits in Portugal, Juventus will now turn their attention back to domestic affairs as they host Empoli on Saturday evening.
La Vecchia Signora earned a well-deserved 2-0 away win, putting them firmly in cruise control for the home leg set to take place next month. Next up will be a tie against Napoli in the Coppa Italia. This could see Massimiliano Allegri make some slight modifications, with Dani Alves, who scored the team’s second, starting in lieu of Stephan Lichtsteiner.
Mario Mandzukic, who played the whole game, could be given a much-needed rest, as the Croatian has been an active part of the starting XI since switching to a 4-2-3-1 system. That could see his international teammate Marko Pjaca, who grabbed his first ever Champions League goal on Wednesday, earn a spot in the starting line-up on Saturday. And Claudio Marchisio, who has seen his game-time reduced, could also be another to feature. Meanwhile, Leonardo Bonucci will likely be re-instated after being dropped for the game against Porto for disciplinary issues.
Juventus have won their past 29 home games, which is a Serie A record. Empoli are not expected to break that. The Azzurri have the worst attack in the division, and are only kept out of the bottom three due to how badly Crotone, Pescara, and Palermo have fared. They are also on a two game losing streak, are winless in their past four, and have not beaten the Bianconeri since April 1999. That’s not expected to change this Saturday based on how both teams have performed this season.
Juventus vs Empoli: Head-to-head statistics
- Juventus have won their last 29 home matches – a Serie A record.
- Empoli have won none of their last 20 away games against teams ranked above them in the table (D6, L14).
- The Azzurri have picked up just one point in 10 previous clashes at Juventus in the top flight (0-0 in November 1998), scoring in only three of these matches.
- Juventus have won their past seven home ties against Empoli.
- La Vecchia Signora have scored at least two goals in 15 out of their 17 home games.
- Empoli have failed to win their last 6 away matches.
- Juventus have kept a clean sheet in 5 of their last 6 matches against Empoli in all competitions.
Juventus vs Empoli: Prediction
Juventus have won 16 out of their last 21 Serie A ties against Empoli, who haven’t beaten them since April 1999. Seven out of La Vecchia Signora’s past nine games since switching to a 4-2-3-1 formation have seen them keep a clean sheet. Pitted against a team who have scored a paltry 15 goals so far this term, Juve should have no problems keeping a clean sheet here and earning a comfortable win.
Juventus vs Empoli: Bet tips
- Over 2.5 goals at 4/7 (1.57)
- Juventus to WIN and BTTS – YES at 8/15 (1.53).