Inter Milan vs Fiorentina
2016/17 Italian Serie A.
Date: Monday, 28 November 2016
Kick-Off: 18:00 UK,
Venue: Stadio Giuseppe Meazza (Milan).
Two teams who have had their respective difficulties both in Serie A and in the Europa League will meet up in Italy’s fashion capital on Monday evening. Inter will welcome Fiorentina in the final match of round 14 and the Nerazzurri will be hoping to recover after a bitter loss that ended their European campaign.
Stefano Pioli, who is Inter’s third manager already this season, will have been livid at his side’s performance. To go from 2-0 up to 3-2 down against Israeli outfit Hapoel Be’er Sheva in a must-win match is nothing short of embarrassing, and now Inter will have to contend themselves with domestic affairs as they look to pick up the pieces. In their last Serie A game, they fought back well to secure a point in a two-all draw against Milan in the Derby della Madonnina.
This will be the kind of performance Pioli will hope to see from his men – and not the diasterous one seen on Thursday. Meanwhile, Fiorentina also featured in the Europa League and ended up also losing 3-2. Paulo Sousa’s side shipped two early goals and attempted to come back, only to concede again in the last moments of the match.
The Viola have had their own struggles in the league. Up until a 5-3 thriller against Cagliari, they had netted just six times. Oddly enough, they have no such problem in the Europa League. In any case, they thrashed Empoli 4-0 in their last fixture and Sousa will hope the loss midweek will serve as an impetus to rebound in this match.
Inter Milan vs Fiorentina: Head-to-head statistics
- The last draw between Inter and Fiorentina at this stadium was back in November 1996.
- Since then the Nerazzurri have won 14 times, whilst the Viola have won three.
- Fiorentina have won their past two away games against Inter.
- Before then, they had lost their past 12 trips to Milan to face the Nerazzurri.
- The Gigliati have won their past four overall Serie A games versus Inter, whilst keeping two clean sheets.
- Fiorentina have lost just two out of their past 12 Serie A games and have won their past three away games.
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in six out of Fiorentina’s last seven away games.
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in six out of Inter’s last seven league matches.
Inter Milan vs Fiorentina: Prediction
If one believes in patterns, then this game should result in a draw if one is looking at it from the perspective of Fiorentina. The Viola have posted a record of W-D-W-D-W in their last five league fixtures. Inter have only kept one clean sheet at home so far this term – and that was against Serie A debutants Crotone, who sit bottom of the table.
With both sides struggling to keep clean sheets, expect an open-ended affair here. In addition, with over 2.5 goals scored in most of Inter’s games, and Fiorentina’s ties on the road, don’t be surprised to see a high-scoring entertaining encounter at the Stadio Giuseppe Meazza.
Inter Milan vs Fiorentina: Betting tips
DRAW at 12/5 (3.40)
Over 2.5 goals at 17/20 (1.85).