Hungary vs Switzerland
European Qualifiers – 2018 World Cup
Date: Friday, 7th October 2016
Kick-off: 19:45 UK
Venue: Groupama Arena, Budapest.
Hungary would have disappointed after being held to a goal-less draw by one of the weakest side in Europe in their opening match of the World Cup qualifiers. The surprise packages of the just commenced Euro 2016, were hardly at their usual fluency and rightfully punished as Faroe Islands stole a vital point. The Group B is one of the toughest in the qualifiers, with Portugal and Switzerland very much the favourites to win the group. Dropping points against sides like Faroe Islands could cost them dearly in the long run.
Switzerland successfully negotiated the European Champions Portugal as they strike twice in the first half to earn a 2-0 win in the group opener. This is a key win for the Swiss sides and Portugal are their main rivals for the top position in the group stage. However, they will be without their midfield talisman Granit Xhaka who was sent-off in the closing stages of the victory against Portugal.
Hungary vs Switzerland: Head-to-Head Stats
- Switzerland overall head-to-head record in 10 meetings against Hungary with 4 wins, 3 draws and 3 losses.
- While Hungary can boast of a healthy home record with 3 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss from 6 meetings. The lone defeat have come in a friendly on 1994.
- In qualifying tournaments, Switzerland are on a 4 match unbeaten run against Hungary with 2 wins and 2 draws. While the overall record in 6 meetings in qualification tournaments is 2 wins, 3 draws and 1 loss.
- Switzerland haven’t won a qualifying match in Hungary in three visits, with the latest two being draws.
Hungary vs Switzerland: Prediction
Hungary were fairly disappointing in the opening match of the group and must produce a much better performance to take something out of this match. And Switzerland are a side that has produced some quality performances in recent times and they are equally capable to earn wins both home and away. But they haven’t defeated Hungary in Hungarian soil in a competitive game. So this could somehow favour Hungary to earn at least a draw from this fixture.
Hungary vs Switzerland: Betting Tips
- Double Chance – Hungary/Draw at 1.65 (3/8)
- Both Teams to Score at 2.05 (12/11).