Germany vs Northern Ireland
European Qualifiers – 2018 World Cup
Date: Tuesday; 11th October 2016
Kick-off at 19:45 UK
Venue: HDI Arena, Hanover.
Germany made a perfect start to their World Cup qualifying campaign with back-to-back wins from their first two matches in Group C. The two win came with ease as they see-off Norway and Czech Republic by scoring 3 goals each without reply. It is interesting to know that the Germans haven’t lost a World Cup qualifying fixture since the 5-1 defeat to England on 2001. They are strong favourites here to top the Group C which includes Czech Republic, Norway and Northern Ireland.
While Northern Ireland have earned their first win of the campaign with a 4-0 margin against the minnows San Marino. They have started off with a goal-less draw against Czech Republic and will be hoping to replicate the heroics in the Euro 2016 qualifiers. For that they need to show dramatic improvements in their away form. They are currently on a four match win-less run away from home.
Germany vs Northern Ireland: Head-to-Head Stats
- Germany met Ireland in the Euro 2016 group stage and came out with a narrow 1-0 win.
- In a total of 15 competitive meetings, the Germans hold a healthy head-to-head record with 9 wins, 4 draws and 2 defeats.
- The last meeting between Germany and Northern Ireland in a qualifying tournament was for the Euro 2000 edition.
- Germany are on a 8-match unbeaten run against Northern Ireland, with 5 wins from last 5 and 3 draws from previous 3.
Germany vs Northern Ireland: Prediction
With such a good record in competitive tournaments, the Germans are automatic favourite to win this match outright. The three international matches after the Euros saw the scoring 8 goals without conceding a goal. Northern Ireland are a side who are less effective against well-organized defensive sides. But can expect them to adopt an extremely defensive set-up with a hope of getting at least a draw from this match. But we believe, the Germans will eventually get their win, but this will be by a narrow margin.
Germany vs Northern Ireland: Betting Tips
- Germany to win 2-0 at 5.50.