Genoa vs Palermo
2016/17 Italian Serie A.
Date: Sunday, 18 December 2016
Kick-Off: 19:45 UK,
Venue: Stadio Comunale Luigi Ferraris (Genoa).
Having picked up a win in their make-up fixture, Genoa will look to take advantage of Palermo’s poor form as Ivan Juric’s men welcome the relegation candidates on Sunday evening.
Genoa have had their share of ups and downs this term. There were impressive home wins against AC Milan and Juventus, but there were crushing losses to an Atalanta side (who were then in good form) and a frustrating defeat to a Sassuolo side who have been closer to the relegation zone than the European football spots. At one point, the Grifone were being mooted as a possible contender for a surprise European football berth, but that didn’t last for long.
Still, at the Stadio Luigi Ferraris, the Grifone have been strong. As noted, they beat Juventus and Milan, whilst scoring three goals against both sides. In fact, they, along with sides like Roma, Fiorentina, and the Bianconeri are among the teams to yet to lose on their home turf.
Meanwhile, Palermo have won just one game all season. That was against Atalanta nearly three months ago. The Rosanero are already shaping up to be one of the teams set to return to Serie B. A change in leadership on the bench hasn’t helped them one bit, and oddly enough, they also have yet to win a game at their own stadium.
They come into this game having lost yet again, this time to Chievo and in fact, are the only team (besides Pescara) yet to win a home fixture. The visitors also have a very bad track record at this ground and being on a nine-game losing streak will not do any wonders for their already flagging confidence.
Genoa vs Palermo: Head-to-head statistics
- Genoa have a record of W12-D5-L3 in their last 20 home games against teams ranked below them in the table.
- Palermo have lost their past nine league games.
- The Rosanero have won just one out of their last 20 away games against teams ranked above them in the table (D5, L14).
- The Grifone are yet to lose at home against Palermo in Serie A: nine wins and nine draws in 18 previous meetings.
- Genoa also have found the net in each of their last 12 Serie A home encounters against Palermo whilst scoring 24 goals.
- The Rosanero have conceded at least two goals in eight out of their last nine league games.
- Palermo have been losing at HT and FT in their past three league games
Genoa vs Palermo: Prediction
Genoa’s solid home form, coupled with Palermo’s overall bad form mean that the Grifone should have no problems getting all three points here. They’ve also recorded some impressive wins, including scoring three against Juventus. Hence, if they can achieve that against the Bianconeri, who have the strongest defense in the league, they should be able to cruise to victory against a team who are winless in their last 11 games. The Rosanero have a tendency to nick a goal here and there in each of their travels, so they may be able to do likewise here.
Genoa vs Palermo: Betting tips
- Both teams to score – YES at evens.
- Over 2.5 goals at 19/20 (1.95)
- Genoa – WIN at 4/7 (1.57).