Fiorentina vs Inter Milan
Italian Serie A.
Date: Saturday, 22 April 2017
Kick-Off: 19:45 UK,
Venue: Stadio Artemio Franchi (Florence).
After a 2-2 draw in last weekend’s Derby della Madonnina, Inter will be again seeking to get back to winning ways as they travel to face Fiorentina on Saturday. Stefano Pioli’s men were leading 2-0 against AC Milan only to ship two late goals and end up dropping another two points.
They are now struggling to stay in the race for a Europa League spot and are winless in their past four. Currently in seventh, they will need to quickly get back on track if they want to secure European football for next term. They sit two behind Milan, and are now four behind Atalanta, whilst upcoming opponents Fiorentina are not too far behind.
Speaking of Fiorentina, they come into this game having suffered a shocking defeat to Empoli. The Tuscan Derby was supposed to be a set three points for Paulo Sousa’s side, and has added more pressure on the Portuguese tactician’s shoulders. That marks the first loss for them at home all season. The Viola have managed just four clean sheets in their last 14 ties at the Stadio Artemio Franchi, and that does not bode well for them ahead of Inter’s visit.
The Nerazzurri suffered a shock 2-1 loss to relegation candidates Crotone, and they have conceded at least two goals per game in their last four games. All in all, they have failed to keep clean sheets in their last seven league ties, and will be facing a team that have scored in their last 12 consecutive games at this ground.
Curiously enough, the last three meetings have seen one – or both teams – finish the game without all 11 men on the pitch, with five red cards dished out during that time period. It will be interesting to see if this game finishes with 22 players on the field, or if someone will lose his cool as happened in the reverse fixture earlier this season.
Fiorentina vs Inter Milan: Head-to-head statistics
- Fiorentina have a record of W6-D8-L6 in their last 20 home games against teams ranked above them in the table.
- Inter have a record of W10-D3-L7 in their last 20 away games against teams ranked below them in the table.
- Inter and Fiorentina have not drawn any of their last nine Serie A meetings: five wins for the Viola, four for the Nerazzurri.
- The Viola have scored 199 Serie A goals against Inter – their favourite opponent in the competition.
- Fiorentina have seen over 2.5 goals in 8 of their last 9 matches against Inter in all competitions.
- Inter have conceded at least 2 goals in their last 4 matches.
- Fiorentina have scored at least 2 goals in their last 3 matches against Inter in all competitions.
- The Nerazzurri have seen over 2.5 goals scored in their last 7 games.
Fiorentina vs Inter Milan: Prediction
Given that a whopping 14 goals have been scored in the past three meetings between Inter and Fiorentina, this game could follow in the same vein. In addition, the last seven games for the Nerazzurri have seen over three goals scored, whilst Fiorentina have seen over 2.5 goals in all but one of their last nine games against Inter across all comps.
Inter have kept just three clean sheets in their last 16 away games, whilst nine out of Fiorentina’s last 13 at home have seen both teams score. That indicates to a pretty open game on the cards for Saturday afternoon, in which the two sides could cancel each other out.