Fiorentina vs Empoli
2016/17 Italian Serie A.
Date: Saturday, 15 April 2017
Kick-Off: 14:00 UK / 15:00 CET,
Venue: Stadio Artemio Franchi (Florence).
Fiorentina will be still hoping to make a very late push for a Europa League spot, although their chances are very slim as they take on Empoli in an all-Tuscan derby on Saturday.
The Viola are now unbeaten in their last six games, but that still has not prevented the rumor mill from churning regarding Paulo Sousa’s future. The Portuguese tactician’s job is still on the line after Fiorentina’s horror show in the Europa League by losing 4-2 to Borussia Monchengladbach at home.
Of course, if they can snatch a Europa League berth, it just may be enough to save his job. Or perhaps not.
In any case, Fiorentina are still one of two sides yet to lose at home in Serie A play this season. The other, of course, is Juventus. They also have managed to keep clean sheets in all but one out of their last five games and should be able to do so here, especially considering Empoli’s blunt attack.
Speaking of Empoli, the Azzurri now have some major worries on their hands. Despite scoring just 18 goals, they were staying comfortably out of the relegation zone due to how badly Pescara, Palermo, and Crotone have fared. That comfort, which once saw them sitting nearly double digits ahead of the Squali, has now evaporated. Crotone have won two on the trot – including against Inter – and that gap has been cut to three.
They had a great chance to further pull away from the bottom three, but only managed a draw with Pescara. In addition, they have lost the majority of their away games, and that of course is due to their inability to score. Overall, they have failed to win their last 10 Serie A games and that bad run does not seem to be ending any time soon against their Tuscan rivals this Saturday.
Fiorentina vs Empoli: Head-to-head statistics
- Fiorentina have a record of W11-D8-L1 in their last 20 home games against teams ranked below them in the table.
- Empoli have failed to win any of their last 20 away games against teams ranked above them in the table (D6, L14).
- The Viola have lost only one of their last 14 Serie A games against Empoli, whilst winning nine of those matches.
- Prior to their draw with Pescara, the Azzurri had lost seven games in a row.
- Fiorentina have kept five clean sheets in their last eight Serie A games, but conceded two goals in each of the other three.
- Interestingly, Fiorentina and Empoli have played out two draws in their last two meetings at the Franchi, after a run of four consecutive home wins for the Viola in this tie.
- The Gigliati are undefeated in their last 16 home matches.
- The Azzurri have conceded at least 2 goals in their last 5 away matches
Fiorentina vs Empoli: Prediction
Fiorentina are undefeated in their last 16 home ties, whilst Empoli have lost their last five away fixtures. In addition, the visitors have failed to score in their last quartet of road games, and overall, have scored just 18 goals this term. To put that in perspective, there are six players who have netted either equal or more than Empoli’s total this term.
The Azzurri will be desperate to get a result, especially with Crotone seemingly coming out of nowhere, but the Viola should be able to see them off as they aim to try to climb as high in the table as possible.
Fiorentina vs Empoli: Betting tips
Fiorentina to win and Both Teams to Score – NO at 6/5 (2.20) with Bet365.