Espanyol host Celta Vigo in the mid-week’s Spanish La Liga opener at the Estadi Cornellà-El Prat on Tuesday evening.
Celta Vigo are coming on the back of a hard earned 1-1 draw against Real Betis in the weekend and stay at sixth in the league table with Europa League qualifications very much a certainty. With the seventh placed Sevilla at a five point distance, they must finish the season well to achieve that.
Another defeat in the weekend has put Espanyol in some spot of bother as they find themselves at a seven point distance from the relegation zone. They have managed just one point from their last three games and must start adding points to their tally in order to stop falling further down in the league table.
- Espanyol have won only once in their last five games, but lost and draw two each. They haven’t won in their last three and are coming on the back of two defeats in a row.
- Three wins and two defeats in the last five matches for Espanyol at their home ground and their last four matches saw over 2.5 goals.
- Celta Vigo are undefeated in their last five league matches, with 3 wins and 2 draws. And each of their last five matches have seen under 2.5 goals and conceded just 2 goals during the period.
- Celta are on a two match winning run away from home and have won three and lost one from their last four away matches.
- Celta have kept a clean sheet in each of the last three wins on the road.
Espanyol: Team News
Tono and Ivan Lopez are the two players sidelined due to injury.
Simao Mate, Feddal and Deyverson were dropped in the last match after the trio were caught partying until late into the night following Espanyol’s defeat to Atletico Madrid a week ago. It would be interesting to see if head-coach takes a similar approach due to disciplinary concerns.
Colombian striker Caicedo could be replaced by Moreno after a lackluster performance against Levante on Friday night.
Espanyol: Predicted Line-up (4-3-3)
Rubén Duarte, Óscar Duarte, Gonzalez, Javi Lopez
Sanchez, Diop, Abraham
Perez, Asensio, Moreno.
Celta Vigo: Team News
Hugo Mallo, Nestor Diaz and Fontàs are the three players sidelined for Celta due to their respective injuries.
Eduardo Berizzo is liklely to go ahead with the same line-up which started in the 1-1 draw against Real Betis on Saturday.
Celta Vigo: Predicted Line-up (4-2-3-1)
Planas, Cabral, Gomez, Jonny
Nolito, Orellana Beauvue
Espanyol vs Celta Vigo: Head-to-Head stats
- The teams share 2 wins each from their last four meetings in Spanish La Liga.
- And three of those four wins have come by a 1-0 margin, which also means they have seen under 2.5 goals.
- Espanyol are on a 7 match winning run at home against Celta Vigo in all competitions. Celta’s last win at Espanyol came by 4-0 in October 2013.
Espanyol vs Celta Vigo: Prediction
Celta Vigo are the in-form here, but they have a poor record at Espanyol after tasting defeat in their last 7 visits. Espanyol’s team morale are on an all-time low after some poor results in recent weeks and player disciplinary issues.
Judging by the head-to-head record in recent time between the sides, I am tempted to go in favour of an Espanyol win. And I think there is a very strong possibility for them to achieve this as they have won three of their last five La Liga home matches.
Celta are a strong side and they will fancy their chances, but my prediction for this match is a 1-0 win for Espanyol. And total number of goals are likely to be on the lower side, so under 2.5 goals is a very safe bet for this match.