England look to build on their strong form when they host an inconsistent Netherlands at the Wembley Stadium on 29th March 2016.
Excellent goals from Harry Kane and Jamie Vardy initiated England’s come back against a strong German side and eventually win it at the death, thanks to a headed goal from Eric Dier. The Three Lions have now won two matches in a row and that too against strong sides – France and Germany and on track in their preparations for the Euro Finals in France.
Netherlands fell to another defeat against France on Friday night and there are some worried faces in their board room. The team has failed to qualify for the Euro 2016 and now the head coach Danny Blind has a big task at hand to build a squad that can compete at higher level as the team eyes direct qualification or the World Cup 2018 in Russia.
- England have won 14 matches out of their last 17, since the disappointing World Cup 2014 campaign in Brazil.
- The team has tasted defeat only once, 2-0 against Spain on November 2015 and have bagged back-to-back wins since then, against a strong France and Germany.
- The Three Lions have scored 2 or more goals in 7 of their last 8 matches.
- England have kept clean sheets in 5 of their last 7 matches.
- Netherlands have lost in 4 of their last 6 matches.
- Their last five matches have witnessed over 2.5 goals and conceded 3 goals in their last 3 matches.They have won their last 2 away matches, but against a weak Kazakhstan and a Wales side without Gareth Bale.
England: Team News
Jack Butland adds to England’s injury worries as he was forced off the field due to an ankle injury in wake of Germany’s first goal in the last match. Southampton goalkeeper Fraser Forster is set to start here as Joe Hart is already out injured.
James Milner is set to captain the Three Lions as Roy Hodgson prepare to tinker with his starting line-up to give opportunities to as many players as possible.
Everton youngster John Stones is set to make his start and he will partner Gary Cahill in defense, with Kyle Walker coming in for Nathaniel Clyne.
Danny Drinkwater, who is having an excellent season with Leicester City is expected to make his debut here with Eric Dier partnering him in centre of midfield.
Jamie Vardy, who scored England’s second against Germany after coming off the bench is also expected to start here alongside, Everton’s Ross Barkley and Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge. While Harry Kane, Danny Welbeck, Adam Lallana and Dele Alli are all set to start from the bench.
England Expected Starting Eleven (4-2-3-1)
Forster – Walker, Rose, Cahill, Stones – Dier, Drinkwater – Milner, Barkley, Vardy – Sturridge.
Netherlands: Team News
Dutch coach Danny Blind is likely to continue his experiment with his formation and tactics in the trip to Wembley.
WesleySneijder, who was taken off due to an injury mid-way through the first half against France is unlikely to play any part in this game.
Memphis Depay and Ibrahim Afellay impressed after coming on as a second half substitute in their last game and both are expected to start here.
Netherlands Expected Starting Eleven (4-2-3-1)
Cillessen – Veltman, Bruma, Blind, Willems – Clasie, Bazoer – Afellay, Depay, Klaassen – Luuk de Jong.
England vs Netherlands: Head-to-Head Stats
- Netherlands are on a 6 match unbeaten run against England, with 2 wins and 4 draws.
- Their last meeting was at Wembley in March 2012, Netherlands winning 3-2 on that occasion and the previous 4 matches between the sides were draws.
- England still lead in the overall head-to-head record after 20 matches, after bagging 6 wins against Netherland’s 5, while 9 matches end in draw.
England vs Netherlands: Prediction
England will be looking win this one to make it three wins in a row, while Netherlands are expected to continue experimenting with their tactics and formation.
Moreover Netherlands are shaky at back and have conceded a number of goals in their recent outings. The Three Lions will look to attack from the start making this an exciting match and I bet a thriller is on the cards.
I back the young English side to win this one and expect both teams to score.