Empoli vs Inter Milan
2016/17 Italian Serie A.
Date: Wednesday, 21 September 2016
Kick-Off: 19:45 UK,
Venue: Stadio Carlo Castellani (Empoli).
Having finally ended their hoodoo against Juventus, Inter will be hoping to continue onwards and upwards as they travel to take on Empoli at the Stadio Carlo Castellani this Wednesday.
The win over the Bianconeri in this weekend’s Derby d’Italia marked the first victory at the Stadio Giuseppe Meazza since 2010. Interestingly enough, Inter icons Marco Materazzi and Diego Milito were also in attendance, and for both men, who played a vital role in Inter’s historic Treble triumph six years ago, it must have been a wonderful sight to behold.
For coach Frank de Boer, he just may have bought himself a stay of execution after the 2-1 win, which came off the heels of a very poor performance against Israeli outfit Hapoel Be’er Sheva in Europa League action last week. The Dutch tactician was reportedly a game away from being sacked, and now having handed Juve their first Serie A loss of the season, he will be eager to use that as a springboard to help them make it a third straight league win this Wednesday.
As for Empoli, the Azzurri come into this fixture having held Torino to a scoreless draw. It was not a bad result, but fans surely would have expected to see more after the team earned their first win of the season over debutants Crotone. Four points in two games is certainly nothing to scoff at, especially considering that Empoli failed to win their first opening matches, but their record against Inter is nothing short of discouraging.
They have not won against their visitors in a decade, and more important, beating the reigning Serie A champs is sure to give any team a major boost of confidence heading into any fixture.
Empoli vs Inter Milan: Head-to-head statistics
- This is arguably one of the more lopsided clashes from a historic standpoint. Empoli have won just two out of their past 20 meetings with Inter dating back to 1993. The Azzurri have lost the other 16 and drawn twice.
- Their last win against Inter was on April 30, 2006; since then they’ve lost nine out of their past ten matches across all competitions.
- Inter have kept a clean sheet in their last five away fixtures against Empoli
- The Nerazzurri have been winning both at half-time and full-time in six out of their past eight games against Empoli.
- Empoli have won five, drawn five, and lost ten out of their last 20 games against teams ranked higher than them in the table.
- There have been under 2.5 goals in Empoli’s last four home games against Inter
Empoli vs Inter Milan: Prediction
Inter will be still celebrating their historic win over Juve, but de Boer will have to make sure that his troops aren’t still on cloud nine heading into this game, as overconfidence and complacency has proven to be many teams’ downfalls. The Azzurri may have been able to keep a clean sheet against Torino, but they produced nothing going forward to trouble new Granata ‘keeper Joe Hart. All in all, given that goals have been in short supply in this tie, the same is likely to take place on Wednesday.
Inter should be able to edge out Empoli in this one. It may not be the prettiest or most entertaining of games, but the Nerazzurri will do just enough to depart with a much-needed three points in hand. A 1-0 result – decided by Mauro Icardi, perhaps – could be a likely outcome from this game.
Empoli vs Inter Milan: Betting tips
Inter to win at 10/11 (1.91)
Under 2.5 goals at 4/6 (1.67).
Get all the Serie A Match Previews, Predictions and Betting Tips at our Prediction Page.