Derry City vs Cork City
Republic of Ireland – Premier Division
Date: Friday, 19 October 2018
Kick-Off at 19:45 UK/ 20:45 CET
Venue: Brandywell Stadium (Derry).
After 34 rounds of play in the Premier Division Derry are nowhere near their performance of last season. Kenny Shiels, the head coach of the home side have took them from 4rth place in 2017 to 7th in the current season. There is a possibility to go up the table depending on the results of St. Patrick’s and Bohemians.
The home team was defeated in their last home game against Shamrock Rovers. The final score line was 1-0 in favor of the Rovers.
With this loss they have more losses (17) than wins (13) in their 33 games this season. After that loss to the team in third place they are facing the second best team in the competition.
The Candystripes are poor at the back. No other team has conceded more goals than Derry (60) other than Bray (85).
John Caulfield is the perfect manager for Cork. The reigning champions however could not replicate last season’s triumph. Some misfortunate losses saw Dundalk go past them to grab this year’s Premier Division title.
The Rebel Army are in the second position with 22 wins in 34 games.
Cummins Graham is their top scorer with 14 goals.
Derry City vs Cork City: Head to head
- In their last 10 meetings from all competitions Cork City has 5 wins and 1 loss.
- Last time they met was in the Premier Division Round 26, when Cork had a comprehensive win of 5-0.
- Shiels’ team has 5 wins and losses in their last 10 games.
- At home Derry has 7 losses in last 10 games and are currently on a 2 game losing streak.
- Cork City are not better. With 4 wins and 3 draws in the last 10 matches they are pretty much similar to Derry.
- Also they have only one win and two draws in their last 5 outings in all contests.
Derry City vs Cork City: Prediction
Caulfield will be disappointed to not win the title this season. But he will be planning to finish the season on a positive note .He also has the Europa League fixtures to think about.
The away team are high on morale and Graham in particular will be looking to add to his goal tally. Maybe Caulfield may try new players as well.
The Candystripes have to be in their best to even draw the game against the top-flyers. Three of their defenders have already picked up a red card this season and need to be disciplined at the back against the opponents.
Derry City vs Cork City: Betting Tips
Away win @ 7/8 (1.88)
Under 2.5 goals @ 11/8 (2.38).