Chievo vs Napoli
2016/17 Italian Serie A.
Date: Sunday, 19 February 2017
Kick-Off: 14:00 UK,
Venue: Stadio Marc’Antonio Bentegodi (Verona).
A very disappointed Napoli will have to re-gather themselves and re-focus after their midweek Champions League loss as they travel to take on Chievo on Sunday afternoon.
The Partenopei ended up losing their meeting with Real Madrid 3-1. But given that they are only in the round of 16 for the second time, whilst Los Blancos have won the Champions League/European Cup more than any other side in history, the result was far from shocking.
Napoli are currently in third spot, and on a 13-match unbeaten streak in league fixtures. They have scored a whopping 57 goals, which is more than any other side in the league, but their back-line has not been nearly as successful.
The Partenopei have shipped at least one goal in seven out of their last eight matches across all competitions, which is something that Chievo will try to exploit. The Flying Donkeys, who are unbeaten in their past three games are no strangers to pulling off scalps. Rolando Maran’s side managed to defeat Lazio – at the Stadio Olimpico – despite not enjoying anywhere near the lion’s share of possession. Roberto Inglese was the man on target, and again was the go-to man for the Flying Donkeys during their recent 3-1 rout of Sassuolo.
Chievo have picked up 32 points so far after 24 rounds, which is their best return at this juncture since the 2005/2006 season. Each season, the primary objective for the Flying Donkeys is to achieve safety. Usually, the so-called magical number to avoid the drop is 40, meaning that Maran’s side are pretty much nearly there. Will that give them the added incentive to try to spring an upset this Sunday?
Chievo vs Napoli: Head-to-head statistics
- Chievo have a record of W2-D10-L8 in their last 20 home games against teams ranked above them in the table.
- Napoli have a record of W12-D4-L4 in their last 20 away games against teams ranked below them in the table.
- The Flying Donkeys are having the best season in Serie A after 24 match-days since 2005/06, when they had also won nine games at this stage of the campaign.
- The Partenopei are undefeated in their last 13 Serie A games.
- Chievo and Napoli have not drawn their last eight Serie A meetings at the Bentegodi (four wins each).
- Napoli conceded a goal in five of their six league matches following a midweek Champions League game.
- The Partenopei have won their last four Serie A games against Chievo, scoring eight goals in total.
Chievo vs Napoli: Prediction
Chievo have not won at their own home ground against their upcoming opponents since March 2013, when goals from Boukary Dramé (now with Atalanta) and Cyril Théréau (now with Udinese) were enough to get the job done. Still, Napoli will be still bitterly disappointed after their Champions League defeat, and Aurelio De Laurentiis’ inappropriate comments will not have helped their morale. Chievo will try to take advantage of this. Napoli are no Sassuolo, but they have their share of problems at the back as well.
Chievo vs Napoli: Bet tips
BTTS – YES at 19/20 (1.95)
Double Chance – Chievo WIN or DRAW at 9/5 (2.80).