Cagliari vs Genoa
Italian Serie A
Date: Sunday, 15th January 2017
Kick-Off: 11:30 UK/ 12:30 CET
Venue: Stadio Sant’Elia (Cagliari).
Level on points, it could be an interesting tussle as Cagliari take on Genoa at the Stadio Sant’Elia on Sunday afternoon.
Of the three promoted sides – Cagliari, Crotone, and Pescara – the Rossoblu have fared the best. This is despite shipping an eye-popping 43 goals, which means that they have the worst-performing defense in the division. Part of their saving grace is the fact that their attack has scored nearly as much as Crotone and Pescara combined. This has definitely helped them stay afloat and put some distance between them and the relegation candidates.
However, they’ve won just one out of their last five games and come into this match seeking to rebound from a defeat. They may have a good chance here. Genoa have been in free-fall for the past few weeks. The Grifone are currently on a three match losing streak, including a shock home defeat to Palermo that saw them ship four goals. No other team – including Milan or Juventus – had been able to score four against the Grifone prior to the Rosanero, and Palermo don’t exactly have the strongest side in the top flight.
That’s not confidence boosting results any team needs at this point in time. And to complicate matters, Genoa’s executive board have sold off two key players. Tomas Rincon joined Juventus for £7 million, whilst Leonardo Pavoletti is off to Napoli for about £15 million. Following the defeat to Palermo, they then suffered two more losses, again by one goal margins to Torino and Roma. It will be interesting to see how the Grifone rebound here, as they also tend to struggle on the road.
Cagliari vs Genoa: Head-to-head statistics
- Cagliari has a record of W3-D5-L12 in their past 20 home fixtures against teams above them in the table.
- Genoa has a record of W6-D6-L8 in their last 20 away fixtures against teams below them in the table.
- The Rossoblu have conceded 43 goals in the first half of the season.
- Since Serie A became a 20-team league over a decade ago, no other side had conceded as many in a first half of a season before Cagliari.
- The Grifone are unbeaten in their last three Serie A clashes against Cagliari (2W, 1D), after losing each of the previous three.
- Cagliari are unbeaten in their last four home games in the league versus Genoa (3W, 1D).
- Genoa are on a run of three consecutive Serie A defeats – they have also lost five of their last six away games (1D).
- Cagliari have won six of their nine Serie A home games played this season, drawing one and losing two.
- The Rossoblu have scored at least two goals in nine out of their last 10 home games.
Cagliari vs Genoa: Prediction
Both Genoa and Cagliari are level on points and will naturally be eager to rebound with a win here. Genoa’s downward slide will be a major source of concern for Ivan Juric and they now have not only sold their best striker but also don’t have their first-choice shot-stopper available due to injury.
So is it all advantage Cagliari? The Rossoblu will surely be kicking themselves if they don’t get at least a point here, but their defensive frailties again could come back to cause them some major problems.
Cagliari vs Genoa: Betting tips
Both teams to score – YES at 8/13 (1.62)
Double chance – Cagliari to WIN or DRAW at 11/20 (1.55).