Borussia Dortmund will welcome Liverpool at Signal Iduna Park on Thursday for the first leg of the UEFA Europa League quarter final.
Wining the Europa League seems the only chance Klopp and Liverpool have for next season’s Europe competition and also their only shot to Silverware this season. This game will give Liverpool Manager Jugen Klopp a chance to go back to Iduna Park and a reunion with his former players.
- Liverpool are unbeaten in the Europa League this season with 4 wins, but they have drawn in 6 of their 10 games so far.
- The Reds scored 10 goals in the competition so far and let just 5 goals past them. And 9 out of those 10 matches have seen under 2.5 goals. They have kept clean-sheets in 4 of their last 5 matches in the competition.
- Dortmund have won 11 of their 14 matches in this season’s Europa League including the qualification round, with a draw and 2 defeats in the group stages.
- The Black and Yellows are on a 4 match unbeaten run in the competition and scored 8 goals and conceded just 1 in the process.
- Dortmund are on a 5 game winning streak in all competition while Liverpool have lost 1 of their last 5 games, won 3 and drew 2.
- Dortmund are unbeaten in their last 9 home games in all competition, they have won 8 and drew 1.
Borussia Dortmund: Team News
Gundongan is still a doubt but could still feature if found fit in time, Hummels and Sokratis are also expected back in the starting line up while the rest of the team remains unchanged.
Borussia Dortmund: Predicted Line up (4-2-3-1)
Burki – Hummels, Sokratis, Piszczek, Schmelzer – Castro, Weigl – Mkhitaryan, Durm, Reus -Aubemayang.
Liverpool: Team News
Klopp is still dealing with the minor injury blow in his attack as most of his attackers are doubts for the clash, they will have to concentrate on their poor finishing form.
Strurridge is expected to start here as both Firmino and Benteke are yet to recover form their respective injuries.
While Lucas Leiva, Danny Ings, Joe Gomez and Jordan Rossiter are sidelined through injuries.
Liverpool: Predicted Line Up (4-2-3-1)
Mignolet – Lovren, Sakho, Moreno, Clyne – Can, Henderson – Milner, Lallana, Coutinho – Sturridge.
Borussia Dortmund vs Liverpool: Head-to-Head Stats
The teams have met on 3 occasions in UEFA competitions and they share a win each and draw.
First of those came in the 1966 European Cup Winners’ Cup final in Glasgow, when a Bill Shankly managed Liverpool lost 2-1 in extra time to Willi Multhaup’s Dortmund.
The teams were drawn in the same group for 2001-02 edition of UEFA Champions League first group stage. They drew 0-0 in the first leg at Germany and won 2-0 in the return leg at Anfield.
Borussia Dortmund vs Liverpool: Prediction
Thomas Tuchel’s Borussia Dortmund is in some fine form at the moment and will go into this game as favourites. But Jurgen Klopp and his Liverpool have shown some excellent fighting spirit in the last few matches and should not be under estimated here.
Also Read: Dortmund vs. Liverpool: Preview in Numbers
I expect a high tactical battle as manager who know themselves inside out. It is very hard to separate both teams on paper as they are very similar in their approach and playing philosophy. For fans and neutrals this surely guarantee an entertaining and fierce contest. A draw is very likely here and expect over 2.5 goals. Also, betting on this match involves high risk.