Barnsley vs Derby County:
England – Championship.
Date: Saturday, 13 August, 2016
Kick-off: 15:00 UK.
Venue: Oakwell Stadium, Barnsley.
Barnsley and Derby County look for their first win of the 2016/17 English Football League Championship when they face-off against each other at the Oakwell Stadium on Saturday afternoon.
Barnsley were comprehensively defeated by Ipswich Town on the opening day of the new league season. It was all even until half time and since then six goals fell in a match which ended at the full-time score 4-2. The Tykes were then hit with another blow as they were knocked out of the League Cup, after succumbing to a 2-1 extra time defeat at home to League One outfit Northampton Town. The cup competition might not have been their priority, but their head-coach Paul Heckingbottom has every reason to be disappointed with the defeat after naming a full strength squad.
Derby on the other hand were held to a 0-0 stalemate at home by promotion contenders Brighton & Hove Albion. However they have managed to bounce back with a 1-0 win against League Two outfit Grimsby Town on the mid-week. The Rams are having a slow start to the season under new manger Nigel Pearson, who already urged his side to be more ruthless in the coming weeks. However, there are some positives for the former Leicester boss as his side has kept four consecutive clean sheets including pre-season friendlies.
Barnsley vs Derby County: Head-to-Head
- The latest meeting between these two sides can be dated back to the 2013/2014 Championship season, where Derby won both the home and away leg by a 2-1 margin.
- Derby will go into the game on the back of a four match unbeaten run against Barnsley with 3 wins and a draw.
- Barnsley last victory over Derby was on January 2012 at their home-ground by a 3-2 scoreline. They drew 1-1 and lost 2-1 in the two subsequent matches since then.
- Derby have a strong home record against Barnsley which reads 7 wins, 3 draws and 1 loss in 11 matches.
Barnsley vs Derby County: Prediction
Barnsley who gained promotion to the League Championship via play-offs last season looked far from convincing in the opening weeks of the new season. Their character will be put to a stern test by a strong Championship team of Derby’s quality.
It is still early days for Derby under the management of Niger Pearson, but they are proving to be a tough defensive side for oppositions to break. They do have the quality in other areas too and it will be only a matter of time until they start banging on target on a regular basis.
It is hard to see Barnsley troubling Derby in this particular fixture. I will be backing the hosts to win this comfortably by keeping a clean sheet.
Barnsley vs Derby County: Tips
- Derby to win.
- Derby to Score Over 1.5 goals.