Atalanta vs Sampdoria
Italian Serie A.
Date: Sunday, 22 January 2017
Kick-Off: 17:00 UK,
Venue: Stadio Atleti Azzurri d’Italia (Bergamo).
Atalanta will be determined to re-capture some of their earlier season form as they welcome Sampdoria on Sunday evening.
La Dea have hit a bump after a good spell of results. Gian Piero Gasperini’s men did not start this season off well, with just one win in their first five games. Then suddenly, things started to pick up. Atalanta earned a whopping 25 points thereafter from nine games, which saw them vault up the table. By matchday 14, they were in fifth spot and suddenly people were talking about a push for a Europa League spot.
Still, the roller-coaster ride is not over just yet. So, just as they had climbed up the table after putting together a great string of results, they then took on Juventus at the start of December. And they ended up losing. That was their first defeat in nearly three months, since losing 1-0 to Palermo. That also appeared to rattle La Dea, as they succumbed to a second 3-1 defeat, this time to Udinese.
And since then, they have failed to recover. After picking up 25 in nine games, they have since earned seven points from their past six ties. Fortunately for them, perhaps, Sampdoria have a lousy away record this term. They have won just one match on the road, and that was on matchday one against Empoli.
Atalanta have a wobbly record against Sampdoria overall, but at home it’s a different story altogether. Will they be able to right the ship, despite the absence of some key players due to injury, transfers, and international duty?
Atalanta vs Sampdoria: Head-to-head statistics
- Atalanta have a record of W12-D4-L4 in their past 20 home games against teams ranked below them in the table.
- Sampdoria have a record of W1-D5-L14 in their past 20 away games against teams ranked higher than them in the table.
- The Blucerchiati have failed to win their last nine away games.
- La Dea have earned just seven points from their last six league games; after earning a whopping 25 in their prior nine.
- Atalanta have won only one of their last five Serie A clashes against Sampdoria, in September 2015 (W1 D1 L3).
- However, the Nerazzurri have defeated Samp in five of the last eight encounters in Bergamo (W5 D1 L2), scoring 17 goals in the process
Atalanta vs Sampdoria: Prediction
Atalanta will be missing a few key players, especially in the middle of the park. Franck Kessie is away at the AFCON tournament, whilst Roberto Gagliardini has moved on to Inter. However, Sampdoria aren’t doing any better in terms of personnel. They come into this game with first-choice shot stopper Emiliano Viviano still out and they have failed to win their last five Serie A games.
There could be goals on both ends. Sampdoria have scored in their last seven road games, but conceded in their last nine, whilst Atalanta have scored in their last six home fixtures and conceded in their last three.
Atalanta vs Sampdoria: Betting tips
Over 2.5 goals at 9/10 (1.90)
Both teams to score – YES at 10/11 (1.91)
Atalanta – WIN at 4/6 (1.67).