The relegated Aston Villa host an in-form Southampton in the weekend Premier League fixture at Villa Park on Saturday evening.
A 1-0 defeat to Manchester United last weekend confirmed Aston Villa as one of the three sides going down to Championship next season. The Birmingham based club has nothing left to play for and will be coming to make up the numbers on Saturday evening.
Southampton are coming on the back of some good form and are currently 8th in the league table. The Saints still squandered the chance of making into the Europa League next season after a disappointing draw against Everton in last weekend and they will be playing with little pressure.
- Aston Villa have lost 9 successive matches in the Premier League.
- The Villans have one win to show up from their last 12 league games, that came against another relegation candidates Norwich City on 6th February 2016.
- Aston Villa have lost their last 5 home games in a row and conceded 15 goals, while scoring just two.
- Aston Villa have failed to score in 5 of their last 6 league games.
- Southampton have won 3 three of their last five matches, with 1 draw and 1 loss.
- The Saints scored a goal in five of their last six matches, but failed to keep a clean sheet in their last 8 matches.
- Away from home, Southampton won just once in the last 4 matches, with 2 draws and 1 win.
- Seven of Southampton’s last 8 matches have seen under 2.5 goals.
Aston Villa: Team News
Jordan Amavi is the only player injured for Aston Villa, while Gabriel Agbonlahor is suspended by the club for disciplinary reasons.
There are also rumors that suggest that Jores Okore is being relegated to the reserve side and is expected to play no part in the first team for the rest of the season.
Aston Villa: Expected Starting Line-up (4-2-3-1)
Cissokho, Clark, Lescott, Hutton,
Grealish, Gueye, Ayew,
Southampton Team News
Charlie Austin is injured, while Florin Gardon is yet to attain full fitness and both players can be ruled out for the trip to Villa Park.
Both Jose Fonte and Victor Waynama are minor doubts and are likely to be rested to keep fresh for the final stages of the season.
Southampton: Expected Starting Line-up (4-2-3-1)
Bertrand, Yoshida, van Dijk, Soares,
Tadic, Long, Davis,
Aston Villa vs Southampton: Head-to-Head Stats
Southampton are unbeaten in the last five matches against Aston Villa in all competitions, with 2 wins and 3 draws.
Aston Villa have failed to win in their last three home matches against Southampton. Their last two meetings at Villa Park had ended in draws, while the Saints won in the match previous to those.
Aston Villa vs Southampton: Prediction
Aston Villa became the first team to get relegated from Premier League this season last weekend have nothing left to play for. The poor attitude shown by players throughout the season means there is nothing to expect from this team on Saturday evening.
Ronald Koeman’s Southampton could have been in a better league position, but they are pretty inconsistent to achieve anything substantial this season. The team is in some form, but it hardly matters as Aston Villa is any team’s bunny these days.
My prediction for this match is an away win and my probable exact score is Villa 0-3 Southampton.